Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

S only...here is the red vase...bottom is pretty chewed up…

For Robert S only...here is...
For Robert S only...here is the red vase...bottom is pretty chewed up but love the color Redvase6784 https://imgur.com/gallery/mQ48J
3/25/2018
Josie-Mod
I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when he is back online.
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Kalina,

Just letting you know I got the large red vase.

I'll have an answer for you as soon as I can.

Have a great night.

Robert.

It's 15 inches high....none of the pics of similar have that black base?

Hi Kalina,

The color is delicious, isn't it!? I can see why you like it. This is a very fine example of a Chinese 'monochrome' glaze, in a particular 'ox blood' or sang de boeuf color that the Chinese call, langyao, (or langyao 'hong' meaning 'red') a flambé red copper oxide color thinning to white around the rim at the top.

It's also of an unusually large size for this type of glaze. Most of these top out at about 10" tall as it's so hard to control this glaze and the amount of flow it does in the kiln.

Langyao hong first came to prominence in the Kangxi period around 1705-1712 when the best examples date to, and certainly, going by the deep saturation of the red in this one, it could be as old as this, or Yongzheng (1723-1735), however, there's something about the form, this garlic top slender bottle form, and particularly the straight profile of the foot (rather than flared toward the base as on Kangxi examples) that looks late 19th century to me.

All that scarring on the bottom of footrim is actually quite a good sign of authenticity. It shows how it fused to the saggar (the protective clay box inside which the vase is placed for firing) or the floor of the kiln when the glaze overran the base, which one often sees with the best of these vases.

Normally, to prevent this happening, the decorator stops about a quarter of an inch up from the bottom to allow for the slow draining that inevitably occurs as the glaze turns viscous in the two thousand degree heat. In this instance, the vase had to be carefully chipped away to release it from the floor of the kiln (or from its saggar)

Another good sign is that it looks like it's quite heavily potted. A genuine piece this size should easily be 8 to 10 lbs or more in weight. Modern copies are very thin walled by comparison.

As for value, these Chinese monochrome vases are becoming very sought after and big ones, even late 19th century ones like this, even more so.

This one would sell at auction at the right sale, specializing in Chinese porcelains, in the range of $1200 - $1750. Full retail/insurance value at least $3,500.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Robert.

Robert S.
I love that color..red is my favorite color...but it's big and sounds like heavy....and not a great deal. If it was really old it would be more appealing to me and too. Thx. Im going to wait for the right one..I like monochrome in those old colors that are so intense. I'm sending u a pic of bronze Statues...pair...I can't wait to know more...and hope they have a good story. They are not cheap but I think being a pair made them stand out to me. Thx again hope all is well..spring has sprung up in the north...first rain yesterday...yeah....it's treasure hunting season soon...all those backyard sales!

Thanks, ***** ***** the statues photos and Q. and will respond on that thread.

I understand about passing on the langyao vase. Do you happen to know how much they were asking for it?

Weather is still bitterly cold here for the time of year, but no doubt we'll go straight into a heatwave over Easter then a sharp frost just when all the tender shoots have been coaxed into the open. Happens every year here in south Tennessee, but the dogwoods make it all worthwhile. They'll all be out next week, too, and they can take a little frost.

I would love to explore Tennesee..I'm a country girl and that is the heart..I've passed thru only...and yes dogwoods are great...I planted one and didn't realize what a monster it would be..but the red wood color is nice in the winter. $1500 for the vase but he bargains.. I can make an offer for u if it's still there. I bought from him so he gives me previews on any Chinese items he comes across a few days before they go on sale which is a real treat.
Statues are 24 inches tall by 8 1/2 wide each.

That $1500 is a fair price he's offering. Thanks for thinking I might like to step in, normally I might, but I have to be careful to keep my appraising 'hat' very separate from my collecting/buying 'hat'.

It's great that he gives you previews, though, it's a win-win for both of you.

Oh that must be hard...no problem.....