Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

My neighbor has asked me if I could see if there is any

My neighbor has asked...

My neighbor has asked me if I could see if there is any value to a very old car which her husband and her have owned since 1975. Its a buick skylark. Has need for extensive body work, needs complete redo inside. I don't know about any of the mechanical components. It hasn't been driven in 20 or so years.She has had someone show an interest and would like to know if the car has any value. Thank You

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

My neighbor has asked me if I could see if there is any value to a very old car which her husband and her have owned since 1975. Its a buick skylark. Has need for extensive body work, needs complete redo inside. I don't know about any of the mechanical components. It hasn't been driven in 20 or so years.She has had someone show an interest and would like to know if the car has any value

3/24/2018
S. August Abbott
S. August Abbott, BusinessOwner, Buy/Sell/Appraise

I'm August Abbott, dealer in select antiques, collectibles and rarities x 30 yrs. Give me a few mins to review & prepare your answer. Thanks!

Buicks are solid, quality cars and the Skylark is often considered a collectible. That said, I have found another Buick Skylark, in good to very good condition, with an asking price of $9,000

From what you've described, your friends would have to invest at least that into restoration in order to sell it on the collectible or 'muscle car' market.

It might be more prudent to piece it out (sell it one part at a time) - which is time consuming in both having to research the asking prices for the parts and waiting for someone to show interest.

Here is the 1975 Buick Skylark I found

https://classiccars.com/listings/find/1975/buick/skylark

and here is a site where various parts for or from a '75 Skylark can be found

https://www.carid.com/1975-buick-skylark-parts/

I hope your friends know how good of a friend YOU are for looking out for them this way.

S. August Abbott