Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have some china pieces and sets from my grandma and mom…

Customer Question
I have some china...

I have some china pieces and sets from my grandma and mom and am wondering the value

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

One set is a nippon tea set from the 1900 with gold beads/trim and a light blue and swan pattern

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

The other is a winterling yellow rose and gold trim coffee cups saucers and dessert plates circa 1950

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Antiques
3/24/2018
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 3 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question

I can only take the Nippon set and the Winterling set in this one single question.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?
If so, then -
Please send ONE photo of ONE plate showing the pattern.
Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.
If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.
An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

"Complete Sets" come in many different sizes.
Please tell me the following -
How many people does your set serve? (These are called place settings.)
How many pieces does each person have?
What serving pieces are there? These can add as much as 30% to the value of a set.

!!!!!Please do not send photos of the whole set. I cannot tell what pieces are in a set via such a photo!!!!

Kind regards,
Doris

i am so sorry but the one of the Nippon mark is too blurred to read. Please try again.

This is a different mark from the one you first sent. The one you first sent had the word "Nippon" in red. Please explain?

Isn’t that what I am paying you for? This is the mark on the creamer since you said the other one was blurred

Unfortunately, I was unable to find an accurate answer to your question.
I am going to release your question (opt-out) so that if another professional knows the answer, he/she can help you.
There is no extra charge if another professional responds to your question.
I will not be able to respond to your questions once I opt-out.
I hope you find the answer to your question.
Kind regards,
Doris

Can you just cancel the whole transaction I will find a local dealer
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I can help with what you've posted so far.

1) The tea set is the Flying Geese pattern made by Empress of Japan in 1920

on the pieces that have the paulownia flower mark on the bottom. The same pattern

was made by Shofu Toki Goshi Kaisha of Kyoto, Japan from 1890 to 1910 (those pieces with the SHOFU mark on the bottom). So it seems you have a mixed set in the same pattern which I have seen before.

The set has a value of $300 to $400 as a set.

2) A set of Winterling china of Germany in a yellow rose and gold trim pattern form the 1950's

has a value of $15 for each cup and saucer set and $10 each for the dessert plates.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), Wanelo.com, http://www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com, eBay and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an
auction house near you and consign to them.
Please do click the stars now for this one (bonuses are also welcome!), it is very important for me
to get five-star feedback for answers.

I am following up to see if you are happy with your answer.
Please do let me know by clicking the five stars.