Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

FOR DIANA F. ONLY: Diana-I have a very heavy antique (?)

FOR DIANA F. ONLY :Hi...
FOR DIANA F. ONLY :Hi Diana-I have a very heavy antique (?) rug, it is very dirty and needs to be cleaned. It looks like it may be some sort of indian motif. It looks to be woven with a heavy string waxed matting, that would be my husband's description. :)
Also has fringe and please let me know if I can provide additional pics. Many Thanks-Lori
IMG_5361.jpgIMG_5361.jpgIMG_5368.jpgIMG_5368.jpgIMG_5356.jpgIMG_5356.jpgDSCN4472.jpgDSCN4472.jpgDSCN4473.jpgDSCN4473.jpgIMG_5372.jpgIMG_5372.jpgIMG_5371.jpgIMG_5371.jpgIMG_5366.jpgIMG_5366.jpgIMG_5363.jpgIMG_5363.jpg
Sorry, I forgot to send the dimensions: 72' X 59" or 6' X 4' 9"Lori
3/24/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi Lori!

.

You'll have to tell him, I like his description. =) I'll be glad to take a look. I'll let you know if I run into any questions.
~Diana

Hi Lori.

.

At first look, I almost thought it was a machine made piece because it's so symmetrical and orderly. It looks what they call a hooked rug. It's made by hooking or looping a yarn or fabric through a stiff woven base using what's essentially a crotchet hook. In some cases you can use a sort of machine-shuttle to speed the process up, but that's something you usually find with tufted rugs more than hooked.

.

It has some thickness and tuft, but it's not "fluffy" like your higher pile textiles. What's interesting is the design. The design looks like a more contemporary take on an antique Persian style. I say style because it does have elements of your traditional Persian rugs. It has a central stretched medallion type of design. That's set in a brown ground, diamond shape. It has floral designs in the corners and a floral scroll border that's set between to smaller, lighter scroll borders. All the elements are there, but it's all done in a slightly less intricate way. The flowers are a bit more muted and not as detailed. The scrolls are a bit softer, not as sharp. The lines are less defined. At lot of that just comes from the nature of hooking yarn.

.

Judging by the style, I'd say it's probably a later 20th century piece, like from the 60s/70s. There's no latex or rubber backing on it, so that generally means older. It was probably made in Turkey or maybe Iran. We weren't really importing from China yet and most of what we got (and to some extent still do) get in the way of rugs comes out of Turkey.

.

Back then you could actually get kits and "make" your own rugs and smaller pieces. It's no really something that would be done for larger area rugs, but you could do it. You could buy patterns and the plastic or burlap "frame" and you'd make it like you would sewing a cross stitch pattern. Artistic ability may vary however. =)

.

It's a really well done piece. I mentioned the style is less detailed, but that's not a knock on the quality. the construction itself is actually very good. The loops are tight and even. Judging from the back, you can see a nice orderly line with no floppy or loose loops or no major breaks. It's all pretty consistent. That's harder to achieve and generally a sign of a higher end piece.

.

Given the quality and the size, a piece like that is going to be worth about $600 to $700.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great night.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
I just can't tell you enough how much we appreciate your detailed answers and the history behind those answers.Many, many thanks-Lori and John

You're both very welcome. I'm glad I can help. I know the two of you are kind of going through a mess trying to get everything taken care of. I'm just glad to help a little. =)

.
Thank you for the rating. I appreciate it. I hope you have a good week.

~Diana