Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a piece of furniture that I want to find out how old…

I have a piece...

I have a piece of furniture that I want to find out how old it is. Where do I start?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Ok It is a small table like a small secretary desk. I know my parents have had it for more that 70 years. It has dove tails, it looks like the main surfaces are walnut and the secondaries might be pine. I don't think it is poplar. It's about 18

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

18" x 30" x 30" high.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including maker's marks.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

This is a circa 1860 Empire style nightstand or side table with one drawer, bottom

stretcher and wood knobs. I have added photos of a similar piece (shape example only) in mahogany.

The Empire style is characterized by heavy and thick wood, curved drawer fronts,

and large, swooping scroll accents. Your table is valued at $300 to $400 in this condition.

Some sites that I recommend for selling on your own are www.loveseat.com (in CA),
Pamono.com, Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), http://www.revueconsignment.com/ (in Ohio),
Chairish.com, Ioffer.com, and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
They do all of the work and you get a check 14 to 45 days after the sale minus their 15% to 25% (negotiable!) commission.
***Please take a moment to click the five stars. Bonuses are also welcome! ***

Rarewares

Most Empire style furniture was made in the northeast Us

in cities like New York, Boston, and Philadelphia.

Thanks again.
Bye