Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Pearl. I have a WWII Japanese Katana sword I'd like to get a…

Customer Question
Hi, Pearl. I...

Hi, Pearl. I have a WWII Japanese Katana sword I'd like to get a rough evaluation of its worth. It has 7 crysanthamums and several cherry blossoms on the hilt. Also two attachments ... one looks like it would clip to a belt; the other a soldier on a chain. This is from the Fiji/Guam area.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

This Katana has the leather hilt covering the sting ray (I believe) skin. We removed a wooden peg in the hilt and were able to lower it to find the signature. The entire sword is 37" long. Blade length is 27 3/8". Blade width goes from 1" to 1 3/8". I had an antique dealer look at it. While he said he thought it was of significant value, he didn't know enough about it to make a guess on its worth. I can send pictures.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Antiques
3/24/2018
Antique Expert: Jon, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 months ago
Jon
Jon, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your question today. I am not at my computer at the moment but I can get back with you a little later today. Would that be okay with you? In the mean time if you could send some pictures that would be great.