Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

This one you may want to pass off because I think it is a…

This one you may want...
This one you may want to pass off because I think it is a new item not an antique. It is an Asian small teapot with 5 cups without handles. I'm not sure if it is porcelain or glass. The set has royal blue and light blue running around it. The cups are 2 1/4" tall x 3 3/4" across the top. The teapot is really different with it's wide spout on one side and what looks like an animal spout on the other side. It is 3 1/8" tall with the lid on x 6" including both spouts or 4 1/4" on the side without the spouts. There are no markings on the teapot just a flat white bottom. The cups have a signature in Chinese or Japanese. I have sent the signatures facing up and down because I'm not sure which way it goes. Linda
IMG_2007.JPGIMG_2007.JPGIMG_2010.JPGIMG_2010.JPGIMG_2009.JPGIMG_2009.JPGIMG_2012.JPGIMG_2012.JPGIMG_2013.JPGIMG_2013.JPGIMG_2014.JPGIMG_2014.JPG
3/24/2018
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Linda,

You're right, this is from a contemporary Japanese maker, but I don't mind at all giving you an answer on it.

I'll have a response for you as soon as I can.

Best wishes,
Robert.

Hi Linda,

This is Japanese, and very contemporary, probably made in the last ten years. It's the whitest translucent Arita porcelain, but you're right, so translucent it almost looks like milk glass, but unlike glass, this porcelain is like a rock in comparison and so much harder to chip.

The teapot is a typical kyusu with a cone-shaped handle, traditionally placed at right angles to the spout, but in this case Westernized so the handle and spout are all in the same direction. And I like the zoomorphic spout! Still trying to decide what it's meant to be, probably a stylized and much simplified dragon head.

The mark on the bottom reads:

崋山

Known as the Kasangama, or Kazan kiln a well known small manufacturer of Arita porcelain, very much still in existence making traditional hand-painted Nabeshima wares as their website shows. Well worth a browse for the photos alone.

They don't have a specific following here in the West, but a set like this would sell on its decorative appeal in the $30 - $50 range on line. Full retail/replacement value: $100.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.