Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

We have a large 3 story barn 150x50' it is full of antiques…

We have a large...

We have a large 3 story barn 150x50'b it is full of antiques and collectibles that have been housed in the barn since the 1960's. All three stories are full of all types of items. : chairs, stoves, pianos, snowshoes, blacksmith tools, dishes, almost anything you can think of. The former owner collected everything for years to open a museum. The Municipality of OliverPaipoonge purchased the museum 4 years ago, and would lik to sell the items in the barn to raise money to expand th museum. It is a pioneer village set up and is open every summer. We are looking for anyone interested in buying some of these items that are not on display and have been declared surplus by the municipal Council. We are located on Highway 61 south at Gillespie Road. Just a few miles south of Thunder Bay Ontario, Canada. Items will be placed for sale starting in May 2018. Contact***@******.***. Lois Garrity.

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Much of the collection has been stored for many years in the barn and needs cleaning. There is a large collection of chairs both kitchen & dining room. Some rocking chairs. A goodly number of cast iron stoves and heaters, some kitchen wood ranges, some not in great shape, some good. Old license plates, car parts, power saws. We are hoping to sell most of these items to raise money to help with building a new display building for two other collections that we have acquired, one of them a huge collection of automobiles, many restored, race cars and racing memorabilia dating back to the 1920's. We are wondering what the best way would be to approach selling. Auction Sale? Yard sale? What would auction fees be for this approx..?

3/24/2018
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hi my name is***** would be happy to help you.

We are wondering what the best way would be to approach selling......

Auction Sale? ==== an auction would be good as you would pay them to auction the items, advertise the sale, and if contracted they would clean up after the sale if on site. From the amount of items you have an on site auction sounds to be the best avenue. Having to move the items off site would incur further fees of travel , packing, set up and processing.

The other side of the auction ==== you would have to pay them (some auctions charge 30-50% of the sale receipts + an auction fee which is what they charge on top of the percentage of sales)

Yard sale? ====the avenue would give you the most money from the sales as you and whoever else would advertise the sale, work the sale and clean up from the sale. You would want people stationed throughout the building to help customers and carry items if needed to the sales table and on to their cars. You could also list items online to move more of the smaller items=hand tools, jewelry, knick knacks, books, etc.. (etsy.com ebay.com goantiques.com offerup.com sites that handle a higher quailty of item to a wider audience=== some items do have specialty sites that cater to that specific item where collectors go specifically for what they are looking for.)The larger items you would want to sale on site to save on having to ship them out or move them. This is time consuming and takes a number of people however the profit is higher for what you wish to do in the end.

What would auction fees be for this approx..? ==== To determine the auction fees and specifics you would need to contact auctioneers in your area to find out the fees and charges involved and how they would operate this sale=on site or at a designated place. Some questions to ask would be what are the fees and percentages involved in the auction of your size? How do you advertise? (you will want as much advertising as possible) Do they itemize what was sold? Do they enough people to handle a fast paced auction of three floors? How long would the auction go to complete the sell of everything?

I have done a search for auctioneers in Thunder Bay and attached it below for you to contact a few and see which would fit your needs. You could contact some of the antique stores I see listed here also to see if they could help you further also on who they would recommend as a good auctioneer.

https://www.cylex-canada.ca/thunder-bay/auctioneers.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If I have helped you completed please use the rating system to rate my answer as this is the only way I am paid for my work by the company. It does not cost you anything more it is strictly how I am paid.

If I may be of further service please let me know as I ma always happy to help you.

LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser