Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I would like to get a photo appraised without selling it.

I would like to...

I would like to get a photo appraised without selling it. What the best plan to do this?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I purchased a photo album from the mid 1800's with maybe 20 photos in it and one of the stands out. I believe that it's an unusual photo from Charles Fontayne. The provenance is there. Tax stamps and other photos from Ohio photographers.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

The album is in good condition and there is also a hand drawn portrait that looks much older than the photos or the book.

I can send photos if needed.
3/23/2018
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

My name is Glenda,
I am reviewing your question.
I will return in just a moment.

If you can send me a picture of the Charles Fontayne photo I can look up a value for you

Are you wanting the value based on it being his work?

Hello

Yes, that looks like his work. Be right back with a value.

Thank you.

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.

The Charles Fontayne photograph has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $250.00-275.00 if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less,at around $150.00-175.00 , if this were sold in a High End Antique Shop in a larger city it would sell for $200.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $250.00
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.
.
When you post a new question, please feel free to add "FOR GLENDA" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'REQUEST AN EXPERT' function OR you can add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.
.
Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this answer with the 5 star rating ( how we are compensated for our work ) I would greatly appreciate it.
.
You should see the rating stars at the top of the page on the left, if you do not find them please let me know.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars. If you are using the Just Answer App, then it is at the bottom of your page.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Thank you Glenda! Perhaps if I keep it with the album that seems to belong to Lynes S. Brotherton and the other photos and the album that is fully in tact, I might find a collector who could take care of it. This is a great start! Thank you again!