Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Got two cameras I will never use got them when clearing out…

Customer Question
Got two cameras I...

Got two cameras I will never use got them when clearing out my dad's house after he passed, wondering what they are worth 1 is a FILMO AUTO-8. By Bell&Howell looks like a original cam corner? 2 is a KODAK INSTAMATIC 404

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

The KODAK has field case w/ guarantee booklet

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Antiques
3/23/2018
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 3 months ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

You're not too far off. Bell and Howell's old Filmo Auto-8 was an 8mm movie camera. Under the Filmo line they made both 16mm and 8mm cameras. The Auto-8 was popular in the 1940s because it was so easy to use. It has easy magazine loading, a viewfinder, a lens setting guide, easy to change film speeds and even the ability to animate cartoons and titles. These aren't worth quite what they used to be, but in good condition, an Auto-8 will be worth about $55 to $65.

.

On your Kodak, the Instamatic line was a series of affordable cameras they started making around 1963. The 404 was made from 1965 to 1969. It used 126 cartridge roll film and AA batteries.

.
With the field case and booklet, it's worth about $20 to $30.

.

The prices will vary a bit depending on where you try to sell them. You will always get a higher value by selling them yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction, Ebay, or selling it to a dealer.

.

For selling them yourself, Etsy is a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores too. They generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey. They do get the "higher" paying customers though. Etsy actually has one of the lowest current rates and is great for old cameras.

.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale. The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great day.
~Diana