Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a copy of the book "Lafayette in America" by Louis…

Customer Question
I have a copy...

I have a copy of the book "Lafayette in America" by Louis Gottschalk. It is signed by the author and in in prime condition having never been read. I believe it to be the only one of the 996 copies and is described as a "First Edition." It is hand bound in top grain buffalo leather by the publisher, I'Spirit de Lafayette Society. My copy of the book is certified by the publisher to be a "LImited First Edition of which two hundred ninety four copies were bound with silk appointments and ornamentation in pure

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

24-karat gold and dated July 30,19i76 by Richard Poe. Contact me to see the book by calling my cell at(###) ###-####or my house phone at(###) ###-####.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Antiques
3/23/2018
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 3 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question.

See the following image. It shows a copy of your book at a retail pricing of $499.99

Here is the description..

"L'Esprit de Lafayette Society October 17, 1975, Arveyres, France, 1975. Leather_bound. Condition: New. First Bicentennial Edition. LCCN:76-361768. [4to] 184.364.458p. ill.(sepia. [6] fold. leaves of plates_ maps ) appendixes. indexes. Embossed camel colored genuine buffalo leather cover, Top of textblock in 24-karat gold gilt with crimson moire, fabric lined end papers; and stitched in french flag ribbon page holder. Certificate of First Edition Laid in, signed by the binder, Richard Poe who is also acknowledged in the colophon which precedes the title page. Flat Signed by Louis Reichenthal Gottschalk on the title page above dediction: "In Honor of the Bicentenial Anniversay of the establishment of the United States of America, this first combined edition was printed at the behest of L'Esprit de Lafayette Society of France in the limit of a single collectors printing of which this copy #AJ328." The Edition combines three works by Louis Gottschalk and originally published by the University of Chicago Press,"

How to sell books:
http://www.internetbookselling.com/sell-old-books.html

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

************************************
Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

************************************