Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I would like some more info on this antique sake set. I have…

I would like some more...
I would like some more info on this antique sake set. I have one vessel and two goblets. The pieces are glazed and have a bamboo motif on the front side. There is a mark on the bottom of each piece consisting of three vertical letters. The vessel measures 7 5/8" tall, 2 1/4" in diameter at the rim, and 2 3/4" in diameter at the base. The goblets measure 5 3/8" tall, 2 1/2" in diameter at the rim, and 2 5/8" in diameter at the base. Any help is greatly appreciated.
20180323_121333-1.jpg2018032...jpg20180323_121345-1.jpg2018032...jpg20180323_121354-1.jpg2018032...jpg20180323_121413-1.jpg2018032...jpg20180323_121425-1.jpg2018032...jpg20180323_121444-1.jpg2018032...jpg
3/23/2018
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

Hello

This is a mid century, Raku Style Stoneware Pottery Saki set from Japan, these are seen in the Bamboo style such as this and also in some Drip Glaze Styles, these sets with four goblets sell on average for $125.00 and up, with just two goblets, it would be 65.00-70.00.

.

It was a pleasure working for you. I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.
.
When you post a new question, please feel free to add "FOR GLENDA" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'REQUEST AN EXPERT' function OR you can add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.
.
Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this answer with the 5 star rating ( how we are compensated for our work ) I would greatly appreciate it.
.
You should see the rating stars at the top of the page on the left, if you do not find them please let me know.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars. If you are using the Just Answer App, then it is at the bottom of your page.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for the reply, Glenda. I was really looking to get a translation on the Japanese characters.

According to the pay to access data base for Japanese markings and my made in Japan books this mark means

Mark: "Nippon", meaning: Japan., it would have been an export item from Japan.

.

Glenda

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it Kanji?

A form of that yes,

Kyōiku kanji are 1,006 characters that Japanese children learn in elementary school. Originally the list only contained 881 characters. This was expanded to 996 characters in 1977. It was not until 1982 the list was expanded to its current size. Jōyō kanji

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've looked up Nippon in Kanji letters and it is not similar to the marks on my piece.

Hello

I will see what I can find, it is possible this is the artist signature and as such there are no data bases that list these. It is also possible the person who wrote this arranged the characters for their purpose.

Just to let you know according to the leading expert in Japanese, each region or area of Japan adapts the writings of the Ancient Chinese characters of Kanji for their areas. Just like the Chinese do, much like we speak with different accents, they speak and write with different characters. So they may use part of a set of characters for their own purposes, in order to write what they want to say. One of the leading experts on this is person : http://gotheborg.com/ you can look up many things on that site.

Glenda

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I appreciate the effort, Glenda. I will see if another expert on here can help me out a little further. I've had a few help translate Japanese markings in the past. Thank you for trying though.
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Denise,

This is Robert here. I'd be glad to help with this one.

The mark on the bottom is a two kanji character mark that reads:

出人

that translates as "Dai-Jin" or "Debito"

It's a studio pottery mark that appears from time to time in the sales records here in the West but about which no further information is available. It's most likely a Japan-based ceramic artist, but could conceivably be a Japanese-American studio mark. That said, though, it's not showing in my register of US studio pottery marks.

The most recent example of a piece by this artist that I can find in the sales record is this gorilla trivet which you can see has the same mark on the back. It sold on line (eBay) for $20.00.

Your sake set with tokkuri (sake decanter) and stemmed goblets is much nicer and more artistically pleasing, particularly the richly burnished-looking raku glaze so I would certainly agree with Glenda's appraisal value and is about the top end of what to expect for an unlisted name.

Hope this helps!
Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much, Robert! I appreciate it!

You're welcome! Glad to help!

Robert S.
Robert S.