Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Nora! My son (who has a great eye!) has now found a 1951…

Hi again Nora! My son...
Hi again Nora! My son (who has a great eye!) has now found a 1951 copy of the Catcher in the Rye. I believe it to be a book club edition but it has a W on the copyright page which doesn’t seem too common, and it also has tucked inside a review of the book by Clifton Fadiman, who started the book of the month club. no interior markings. excellent page condition. black cloth cover with a little bit of lifting up of the cloth on the front and back — excellent spine condition. Thanks! Sarah
75867477-5793-4C81-8830...jpeg758674...jpeg85658979-F199-4B6E-A42F...jpeg856589...jpegDC31DC7D-0D5E-4D65-9E49...jpegDC31DC...jpegB2131385-27DB-4F5E-A3A6...jpegB21313...jpeg3FDEB31D-5D31-4758-A883...jpeg3FDEB3...jpeg7CECFAC4-B4F1-4F22-92B7...jpeg7CECFA...jpeg3DB8A1AC-4215-40DB-BE66...jpeg3DB8A1...jpeg
3/24/2018
Josie-Mod
I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when she is back online.
Thanks!
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Thank you for the request here.

Does this still also have the original dustjacket?

~Nora

Unfortunately no... so not expecting huge value (but we only paid $5.99)....

Thank you for your patience.

In general, Book of the Month Club titles tend to have less value than a first edition/first printing of a book. In addition most all books have a higher sale value when the original dustjacket is still with the book. A 1951 Book of the Month Club printing of The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger without dustjacket could sell for as high as $100 - $150 on today's market.

You will now need to please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Nora
Great— about what I was thinking! Thank you Nora.

You are very welcome and thank you for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please feel free to add "For Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'request an expert' function and 'favorite' me as your personal expert.

Sincerely,

Nora