Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Could you give me your opinion of the value of the engraving…

Greetings Could you give me your...
Greetings
Could you give me your opinion of the value of the engraving (Indotint) of Romeo and Juliet ( originally painted by Thos F Dicksee) by W. Wellstood? The engraving is approx. 12" x 16" without the border.
Thank you
Barb
3/23/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question.

That k you so much for requesting me.

I am away from my co.puter right now but will be back in an hour.

I appreciate your patience.

I am back online and working on this. I really appreciate your patience.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No worries. Thank you in advance.
Barb

Definition of an Indotints... Those in which the picture is moulded in gelatin colored by a pigment.

William Wellstood was born in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1819. He lived and worked in New York where he died in 1900.

He was known best as an engraver Several examples of his work have been displayed in museums.

There are several of his engravings on eBay now in the close to retail format of "Buy It Now." The highest asking price is $800. Another that is several portraits in one engraving for $600. Others tend to be much lower.

The highest price at an auction house was $650 in 2010. More recent auction results tend to be much less. The general auction house estimates run $300-500.

If you are trying to sell this privately at retail, I suggest asking about $580. Auction pricing should be about the $300-500.

I hope this helps.

Positive, please, Barb.

Kind regards,

Doris

************************************
Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

************************************

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Greetings,
I guess I am curious of this particular engraving in that I am wondering why I couldn't find another one just like it-Romeo & Juliet? Is this unique possibly or would he have made several at the time?
Thank you
Barb

See the following image. It shows an engraving by William Wellstood of Romeo and Juliet. However, it is not an indotint.

It sold for $100 at the CA auction house Don Presley in 2012. Add an 18% buyers premium.

It is the only similar example of your engraving. His tinted engravings do sell higher. I used the sold values for his comparable colored engravings to arrive at value for yours.

I hope this helps a bit.

Thank you so much for the positive 5 stars!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I'm not familiar with the process of indotint, but it seems that another object exactly like this one would have been sold at some point in recent history. Thank you so much for sharing your expertise on the subject.

Often, when not many pieces/prints were made of the same image, they are still in private collections. AND, prints on paper deteriorate rather quickly unless well preserved.

I hope to "see" you again, soon.

Doris
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser