Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a hand carved jade sculpture that I have been trying…

Customer Question
I have a hand...

I have a hand carved jade sculpture that I have been trying to get help with

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Id love to be able to send you a picture because its hard to describe

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

I was told it is believed to be 1000 years old

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Antiques
3/23/2018
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 6 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including maker's marks.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

The photos did come through.

I am unable to find a match for this item. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

just checking to see if the picture came through
Ok thank you will someone be able to help me with it?
Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 6 months ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Hi I would be happy to help you. Do you know the weight of this Jade piece and the measurements by chance?
I don't I can get them when I get home
That would be fine I can check back. I appreciate your reply. I will examine the photos more I look forward to finishing this for you.
Thank you

Doing research while waiting for the weight and measurements can you tell me if the back of this face is carved out or is it flat on the back?

It's flat it actually looks like a foot on the bottom
It's 12 lbs and 14" long 5 inches wide
Did u get the last message with the weight size
Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 5 months ago

Hi thank you for your patience this has been an interesting piece. I have doubts on the material by the way it looks and it appears to have scratches. It is hard to see in photos and not being able to handle this piece. Here is an article on testing the piece if you do not know with certainty if the material is jade. If you know for a fact it is jade then disregard the article.

https://www.wikihow.com/Tell-if-Jade-Is-Real

I specialize in jade and this is one area where touching and handling the piece is necessary. I mean no disrespect at all I just want to be certain it is in deed jade for you.

If it is jade my evaluation follows:

The design and carving, size and aging on the piece is equivalent to the following age and value for ancient jade.

This is a carving done in the Sanxingdui culture which is located in China's Sichuan Province,the ancient Shu culture, approximately from the late Neolithic period to the late Shang Dynasty.(c. 1600 BC–c. 1046 BC)

The carving is thought to be of an alien nature which this period was known for. The value on this piece being 12 pounds and 14" x 5" is 1200-1500.00 These are hard to sell in today's market as very few collect the old pieces. On the open market you would realize a price of 700-850.00 for this mask/head figure.

If I have answered all of your questions please take a moment to rate my work by the star system above. If I may be of further help please let me know I am always happy to help you.