Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Rarewares I have a Solid mahogany Emperor North Wind bench.

RarewaresI have a Solid mahogany...
RarewaresI have a Solid mahogany Emperor North Wind bench. Due to the finish I did paint it black. It measures 46” L x 24” D x 29.25”H. Has what appears to be the original wood slats for the seat
and custom cushion that came with it. Can you give me any background information, age, value.
Thank you.
image0.jpgimage0.jpgimage1.jpgimage1.jpgimage2.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage4.jpg
3/23/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

Thank you for the images, I will look these over for you.
~Rarewares

This is a circa 1875 Empire period mahogany settee with carved north wind face, paw feet and pierced back splats. This piece with replacement cushion and painted surface has a current resale value of $400 to $600 depending on the area that you would be selling it. You can ask more (up to $1200) in a large city and in the medium range($500) in a rural area if you sell locally.

Some sites that I recommend for selling on your own are www.loveseat.com (in CA),
Pamono.com, Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), http://www.revueconsignment.com/ (in Ohio),
Chairish.com, Ioffer.com, and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
They do all of the work and you get a check 14 to 45 days after the sale minus their 15% to 25% (negotiable!) commission.
***Please take a moment to click the five stars. Bonuses are also welcome! ***

Wow I’m floored! Did I ruin it by painting it?

Unfortunately, painting an antique piece like this one detracts a great deal from the value.

Rarewares