Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I've inherited a large (30"x 24") painting by Pal Fried of a…

for Jennifer only. I've inherited...
for Jennifer only. I've inherited a large (30"x 24") painting by Pal Fried of a Ballerina. It's an original oil or acrylic on canvas purchased sometime in the 1960's. I'd be interested to know more about the artist and it's value for insurance purposes.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Thanks! I'll have an answer for you first thing in the morning--I logged out at 5 but I'm back at 9.

Jennifer

That will be fine. Thanks, Martha

First, the biographies:

Biography from the Archives of askART

Pal Fried, (1893-1976), Hungarian American artist, was born in Budapest and studied at the Hungarian Academie under Professor Hugo Pohl and in Paris under Claude Monet and Lucien Simone. Under Pohl's influence, he executed many portraits, nudes and Oriental scenes in pastel. He was also greatly influenced by the French Impressionist School of Renoir and Degas. His works are listed in the Fine Arts Book.

Fried's signature on his paintings was Fried Pal, last name first in the European manner. He is sometimes listed in auction catalogues and reference books erroneously under the letter "P".

While traveling in Spain and Africa, Pal Fried widened and enriched his palette, which gave him mastery of light and movement. After returning to Paris, Fried concentrated on portraiture in which he also became a recognized master. He exhibited his work in Muucsarnok in Budapest. In 1947, after WW II, he emigrated to America where he taught at the Academy of Arts in New York and developed his own unique style and technique.

In the 1950's and 60's, Pal Fried gained popularity while living and painting in Hollywood. He made the rounds and often painted high society women and celebrities including Marilyn Monroe and the Gabor sisters. In New York, he painted portraits of Herbert Lehman Governor and Senator from New York, Will Rogers and other notables.

Fried, an artist of the Hungarian school, worked with pastels and oil paints. He was known for being an important figure painter, and most often depicted beautiful young women, nudes, ballerinas, Parisian society women, western scenes, horse racing, and an occasional seascape. His artwork has gained much deserved recognition and notoriety and has become highly collectible. Many of his paintings hung in the famed Haussner Restaurant in Baltimore, Maryland.

Pal Fried died in New York City at his home,***** on March 6, 1976, at the age of 82. He died four days after the death of his beloved wife, Eva.
(From the Baltimore City Paper):

"It was a banner day for Fried Pal, the artist behind the voluptuous pinup girls of the restaurant's Stag Bar. One bare-bottomed figure in a corset went for $15,000; standing in front of the Nose, Joe Werner of Towson spent $4,000 on another busty Pal pastel. He reminisced about passing through the bar's pneumatic, pink-nippled nudes as a young boy en route to the men's rest room. "The Haussner's bar introduced me to the realization that men and women were different," he said.

Source:
Philip Chasen Antiques

Biography from Auctionata

Pál Fried was born in Budapest, Hungary in 1893. Pál studied at the Hungarian Academy of Fine Arts under Professor Hugo Pohl. He furthered his art studies in Paris under Claude Monet and Lucien Simone. French impressionists Renoir and Degas also influenced Pál's work. After World War II, Pál Fried emigrated to America, where he first taught at the Academy of Arts in New York. In the 1950's and 1960's, Pál moved to Hollywood, where he gained a reputation as a portrait artist for high society and portrayed many famous people, including Marilyn Monroe. Pál Fried died in 1976.

Biography from Papillon Gallery

Pal Fried
1893-1976

Pal Fried was born in 1893 in Budapest. He studied at the Hungarian Academy under the instruction of Hugo Pohl and in Paris under Claude Monet and Lucien Simone. He excelled in portraitures of high society Parisian women, ballerinas, nudes, Oriental and western scenes and seascapes in oil and pastels. His work is often signed "Fried Pal."

Fried traveled in Africa and Spain experimenting with light and movement in his work. He exhibited in Müücsarnok, Budapest, and in 1947 moved to the United States where he taught in New York at the Academy of Arts.

He later worked in Hollywood in the 1950's and 1960's painting portraits of high-profile celebrities including the Gabor sisters and Marilynn Monroe.

His work was extensively collected by Frances Wilke Haussner and hung in the famed Haussner Restaurant in Baltimore, Maryland.

Pal Fried died March 6, 1976 in New York City.

This is an exceptionally lovely piece by this artist.

Pal Fried

Ballerina

Oil on canvas.

24" x 30"

Circa 1960

Appraised retail replacement value for insurance purposes: $7,500.00

Sincerely,

Jennifer

AppraiserJM
Thank you so much for the biographical information! This was the first of many original works of art my aunt and uncle collected over the years and the one I loved most which is why my aunt gave it to me while she was still living.

It's a very nice piece, and a very collectible artist, so good choice!