Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

F only. I have two RS Germany painted pieces in the rose…

For Diana F only. I...
For Diana F only. I have two RS Germany painted pieces in the rose pattern. One is a large bowl measuring approximately 9 and a quarter inches in diameter. The other is a six and an eighth inch saucer or small dish I don't know which. I'd like to know the pattern if there is one for each of them and approximate value. There are some blemishes on each piece and I will try to picture them for you. I don't think they're important blemishes but they are there none the less. There is a large amount of wear to the gold on each rim. Thanks
JPEG_20180322_113541_127...jpgJPEG_20...jpgJPEG_20180322_113556_140...jpgJPEG_20...jpgJPEG_20180322_113625_120...jpgJPEG_20...jpgJPEG_20180322_113640_907...jpgJPEG_20...jpgJPEG_20180322_113701_200...jpgJPEG_20...jpgJPEG_20180322_113735_113...jpgJPEG_20...jpgJPEG_20180322_113759_135...jpgJPEG_20...jpg
3/22/2018
Josie-Mod
I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when she is back online.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi! How are you? I'll be glad to take a look.

~Diana

Hi.

.

RS actually stands for Reinhold Schlegelmilch. It was founded about 1889, though it wasn't until about 1894 that you really started having a mass inflow of goods here to the US.

.

The other mark, BT Co, should stand for Burley & Tyrell Co. out of Chicago IL. They were one of the largest importers of porcelain and dinnerware. They have history going back to 1838. Tyrell joined in 1871. That particular mark was used from about 1891 to 1907. That definitely narrows down the date. Combined with the history of Reinhold, I'd say your pieces likely date from about 1895 to 1907.

.

I wish I could say there were pattern names on their china, but save for a few mold names and designs, most have ...well...nothing. Even the more modern numbering is pretty much nonexistent. Because much of their early work was handpainted, most of their pieces are known for their "shapes" and "molds" rather than the patterns.

.

What you have is a handpainted rose pattern on a beautifully blended, muted background. You have a serving bowl and small plate. That might actually be a little bread/butter plate more so than a saucer given the size.

.

The bowl will be worth about $55 to $65 while the plate is worth $15 to $20.

.

If you have any questions at all, let me know.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.

I look forward to working with you again.
.

Have a great afternoon.
.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Thanks for the wonderful information. I really appreciate it and you!

Aw.. You're welcome. I'm glad I can help. Thank you for the rating and bonus. I really do appreciate it. =)

~Diana