Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an old Globe Wernicke desk. A label says catalog

I have an old...

I have an old Globe Wernicke desk. A label says catalog 2-55-FT DESK. In great shape, however its painted an Army green... my question is if it was originally made and painted this color or did some dummy paint it?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I don't know much else. I'm assuming an appraisal has a price for their expertise. How much ?

3/22/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including maker's marks.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

I only paid $25 for the desk. If I was sure I sure the label is correct it may be worth talking. Is it?

This is a 1920 to 1930 Globe Wernicke desk in catalog 2-55FT

that should be oak underneath. There were not painted unless

they were made in the 1950's and made of steel. Then they were a battleship grey color.

The value once refinished would be $350.

In this painted condition, you still got a good deal.

Some sites that I recommend for selling on your own are www.loveseat.com (in CA),
Pamono.com, Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), http://www.revueconsignment.com/ (in Ohio),
Chairish.com, Ioffer.com, and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
They do all of the work and you get a check 14 to 45 days after the sale minus their 15% to 25% (negotiable!) commission.
***Please take a moment to click the five stars. Bonuses are also welcome! ***

I saw it was nice wood n well built. Thats why I'm going to remove the paint. Then stain, and refinish, bringing it back to the beautiful wood. I have no interest in selling it. Nice to know its somewhat special! Ok thank you very much!

To end this one, please click the five stars in the upper right and hit submit.
A good feedback is the only way I am paid separately by the site.
This action does not cost you anything extra.

Rarewares