Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

S, I have 2 police obsolete badges. They were both together…

Hi Robert S , I...
Hi Robert S , I have 2 police obsolete badges. They were both together when I bought them so They are possibly related to each other. One looks to be a civil defense police cap badge and the other looks to be a tie pin with a broke clasp. The cap badge measures 2 1/8 inches tall and 1 3/8 inches wide. The tie pin measures 1 inch tall and 3/4 of an in wide. Any help on these would be great and a possible value. Thanks in advance
3/21/2018
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the Q. and photos of the badges.

I'll have a response on these as soon as I can.

Many thanks!

Hi Jeremy,

Let's start with the easy one first, the tie clip.

(1) Massachusetts Police tie clip.

This one is a generic MA Police issue item, in other words not specifically named for any precinct or city police force, and with the lower banner left blank for individual customization with the name of the relevant local police force, if desired.

This design is very similar to the current one, with some minor variants, that date yours to about the 1950s with its black enameled shield on a cockade and surmounted with the Massachusett's armorial crest, the state military crest: a bent arm holding a broadsword aloft. Although you can't see much detail in this rendition, apparently the sword has its cutting edge facing upwards, ever to remind us that it was through the American Revolution that independence was won.

Although hard-to-find, these MA Police tie pins don't appear to be hugely collectible. This example sold on line for $20 which seems about average, maybe $15 - $30. Full retail $45.

(2) Civil Defense badge.

This one is a lot harder to track down and the short answer is that it's most likely a one-off adaptation of two separate insignias.

The CD (Civil Defense) in a triangle is a for an auxiliary police force set up during the Cold War era, and enacted by congress in 1951, to assist with emergency and evacuation during a nuclear attack. Later its purpose shifted from military attack to emergencies and disasters in general. So the CD badge is post-1951 in date, but certainly no newer than the Kennedy administration (1961–63).

The mystery is the badge it's attached to. If you remove the CD roundel you should see a shield with the Scales of Justice on it. The scale is held on one side by a figure of a uniformed police officer and on the other by "Blind Justice" herself carrying a sword (as she does -and actually a metaphor for the death penalty).

The only form I can find for this set up is an incredibly obscure police safety badge from about the 1940s that looked like this one. And here's a slightly later version on a police hat from the 1950s.

So my guess is that yours is a temporary "make do" composite of this safety badge, drilled and mounted with the CD roundel, issued until such time as a custom made standard was available marked for each individual precinct or city police force. As such, it's a tricky one to put a value on as some would argue it's not "official" and others would say "No, it's proto-official, and therefore incredibly rare". Since these 1950s Auxiliary Police Force CD badges are not hugely expensive in the first place (they seem to sell in the $15 - $30 range) I would say a fair price for this oddity would be $75 - $100. Full retail $200.

It's also in pristine condition, it looks like it's never been used, which always helps greatly with any of these insignia.

Hope this is useful info!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.
That's a fantastic observation and a closer look shows that the enamel CD piece is placed over the shield. I can't believe I missed that.. thank you

You're welcome, Jeremy, as always, and thanks for confirming what's under the CD roundel.