Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I believe I have 10th century Indian God statue in marble in…

I believe I have...

I believe I have 10th century Indian God statue in marble in a perfect condition. Can you possibly give me an appraisal value of it ?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I can send pictures if you need as it is in a 1 piece ancient statue.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

No not yet

3/21/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including maker's marks.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok I will upload the photo in just 1 couple of minutes as I will just take the picture now. Please hold on..thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
someone in this expertise told me to get a very professional test done ..said it is worth in 6 figures or more. very rare piece.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm sorry to bother but am I supposed to wait for your answer here or is it going to be replied by email ?..I guess you need some time to check these pictures . Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The dark marks are just dirt and stuff but I don't want to clean it as it may damage its value or something
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Mam.. are you still there & should I just wait on my pc for your answer or you will email me the reply? kindly inform me ..Much obliged
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Mam ..are you there..?

I am unable to find a match for this item. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you madam..
Erin-Marie Wallace
Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions

Greetings and good afternoon, my name is ***** ***** I'd like to assist you with this evaluation. It may take me about 20 minutes as I like to insert live links when possible so if you'l bear with me I'll be working on your answer.

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok Madam ..thank you very much. i really hope you can help me...
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The size is 12 inch , width is 6 inch & depth is 3 inch
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
wight is around 2 kgs
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
weight

Thank you for the additional details and your patience.

You have quite an attractive carved marble Indian deity or attendant sculpture. Clearly it was once attached to another structure, assumedly a wall. Because of the carving style and overall wear I tend to lean towards a slightly later date attribution, perhaps 11th to 12th century, similar to this example which sold through Christie's for $50k. Keep in mind that this example is 36" high, she's a large and impressive figure and commanded the price for each end every inch.

This example is 26" high, dated from the 9th century and sold for $9500USD. This example is just under 10" and sold at auction for just under $5700USD. Using these as examples of the types of pieces that I have considered in assigning a value to your piece, if it were sold at auction, I'd expect it to sell in the range of $6000USD to $6500USD. Once pieces like these have found their way into galleries, retail prices can average two to three times the hammer price. That said, retail prices will vary widely depending upon the knowledge and clientele of the seller, market fluctuations and regional variations.

If you have any follow-up questions, let me know and we will continue to chat until you are satisfied as I always strive for 5-star service. If I have answered your questions, please take a moment to rate me using the "Stars". Thank you and it has been my pleasure assisting you in evauating your marble carving.

Most Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

Erin-Marie Wallace
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok You sure will have 5 star. May I ask why it is so low because as per one expert it should be at least $100,000. It is a one piece Marble statue& it is I believe is older than 1000 years. Also if I want to sell it in the market what is the procedure ?
Thank you Mam.
I also have some coins I am sending the pictures of so please let me know what the value might be.
Thank you again very kindly.

You bring up a large and interesting question, that's I'll try to answer as simply as possible... I think that in order to compare the opinions of two experts you must know their basis of comparison. My research cannot substantiate a value of $100,000USD and while I do not discredit your other expert, I don't know what sources he/she is referencing. From my end, I could not find any recent auction results for marble carvings from India which have surpassed the $100K mark. The closest I could find, and this can't really be compared to your sculpture is a carved figure of Ganesha which sold via Sotheby's for $84,000USD. This example has the good fortune to be one of the most popular deities who has interest far beyond the traditional collector, additionally, the condition is quite superb and shows very little wear to the finish and it still failed to cross $100K.

Happy to know your thoughts on this and I'll begin evaluating your coins.

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

I do not take your request personally at all! If you will let me know the city and state you live in, I'll see if I can refer you to a specialist appraiser who will have no interest in the item other then providing you an impartial evaluation and further history.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I live in Hershey PA . Again I do not doubt your expertise Mam & I can not claim the statue is worth so & so . I apologize for something I might have commented not correct. Thank you for your advice. Is it possible for you to be able to appraise the coins please ? Thank you again..

Kind Sir - I take no offense to you comments, in fact I applaud your commitment to knowledge and am only to happy to assist you. If you'll give me a moment I am going to find an appraiser in your area who is connected to one of the Appraisal societies where I received my USPAP accreditation. Just one moment please.....

Erin-Marie

P.S.... you will find that your coins have been evaluated on our other line of conversation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I Thank you very much for all your efforts & interest.

Sir, you are most welcome. The closest independent specialist I was able to find in your area is actually in New Jersey. While I have never worked with this person personally, they are a member of the American Society of Appraisers and as such have an duty to uphold the highest standard of professional ethics.

Here is the link to their profile which contains contact details and a website link. You will find that their scholarly pursuits should align with the specific knowledge that your piece requires.

I know that you mentioned wanting to bring the piece to market, I advise you take this step by step, once you are quite confident in what, how old and how much, then you will be prepared to answer... and now how do I sell it? If you have questions for me as you move through the process, this thread will remain open.

Kindest Regards,

Erin-Marie

Erin-Marie Wallace
Erin-Marie Wallace