Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I acquired this religious candle holder it's made out of…

I acquired this religious...

I acquired this religious candle holder it's made out of cast iron stands around 60 inches tall

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I have pics

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

There is jesus on the bottom on 1 leg holy ghost on another and mary on the other

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

did you get the pic',s

Yes, thank you for the images.

Have you checked the underside or the body of this, likely around the base, for any maker initials or manufacturers names?

By chance, do you know which Church this may have come from originally?

~Nora

can't seem to find any markings don't know witch church

Did you acquire this in the US and what region?

in us on long island new york
that's what has me puzzled no markings

Thank you for the additional information.

This is a late 19th century, about 1880's, Baroque Revival style tall cast iron standing Paschal candle holder from a Catholic Church. Given the size and scale of the holder, likely from a Cathedral.

Most of these cast iron or metal wares for churches were produced in Pennsylvania, primarily in and around Pittsburgh and then shipped throughout the United States and Canada.

A Paschal candle is a tall white candle that last for one year; a new Paschal candle is blessed and lit each year on Easter.

A fair market value for this is $4000 - $6000 at auction on today's market.

You will now need to please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

i'm interest in auction which would you recommend

If you are located on Long Island, the best auction house in your area is Philip Weiss. Here is a link for you to their site: http://www.weissauctions.com/

I also recommend contacting Ye Olde Good Things shop in NYC, as this would also be in their wheelhouse of interest:

https://ogtstore.com/

And definitely try contacting the Elizabeth Street Gallery in NYC too, this could be of interest to them:

http://elizabethstreetgallery.com/

~Nora

Nora

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please feel free to add "For Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'request an expert' function and 'favorite' me as your personal expert.

Sincerely,

Nora