Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I bought these heavy maybe iron pointer dog bookends. They…

For Nora I bought these heavy...
For Nora
I bought these heavy maybe iron pointer dog bookends. They have one marking nut maybe another under the felt bottom. Vcould you tell me age maker and value. Thanks Colette
20180321_094050.jpg2018032...jpg20180321_094036.jpg2018032...jpg20180321_093806-1.jpg2018032...jpg20180321_093832.jpg2018032...jpg
3/21/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
Thank you for the request here here. Please allow me some time to look these over for you. ~Nora
Ok.thanks

Hi Colette,

Please add a photo showing the front side of these - there are only images of the backs and underside showing here.

~Nora

Hi Colette,

Thank you for your patience.

This is a pair of 1920 - 1930s cast iron bookends in the form of Pointer Hunting Dogs.

Many Pointer dog cast iron bookends were produced in that era; most have more 'shaggy' tails, whereas your pair has straight, blunt non-furry tails.

These were likely painted on the front at one time.

The N.B. mark may be for National Brass and Iron Works from Reading, Pennsylvania.

Here is a link for you to a comparables match; they are marked S236 and sold for $199.95 for the pair:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/solid-cast-brass-pointer-hunting-dog-1821566022

Here is a pair that are similar in form, though painted and signed Hubley 303 that sold for $150:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-setter-pointer-hunting-dog-1889998432

Same Hubley pair, but sold for $92:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/hubley-pointer-dog-hunting-dogs-cast-220769063

Here is a rather close match to you pair, however stamped F on the back that sold for $59.99:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-antique-cast-iron-bronze-408556748

Another pair the same as the S236 that sold for $199.95 above, though this pair sold for $39.99:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/cast-iron-pointer-dog-bookends-404623939

This comparable sold for $36.99:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-cast-iron-pointer-dog-1900544009

This pair marked NY Brass Co sold for $25:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/cast-iron-pointer-hunting-dogs-76113337

In conclusion, Hubley can be ruled out as the maker, as the ones manufactured by them are signed Hubley 303.

The pair that sold for $199.95 is an anomoly and is not the average for which these sell for on today's market.

A fair market value for your pair is $25 - $40 on today's auction market.

You will now need to please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Thank you
I found the word bronze on one end. Does national brass make bronze too

You are very welcome.

These are most definitely not bronze, they are cast iron.

There were some companies in that era which used the word Bronze in their name, such as Armor Bronze, however they did not produced bronze wares, they produced cast iron wares with a bronzed finish.

~Nora

Nora
Ok thanks.