Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I am looking to get an appraisal for 2 J prints.."Petunias"

I am looking to...

I am looking to get an appraisal for 2 Margaret J Patterson prints.."Petunias" & "Heartsease..both signed..not sure how to go about this..advise..Thank you *****: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Petunias #14 (17 ?)/100...Heartsease #13/106..Given to great grandfather whom she knew in NYC..

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I have read about here history and that she worked in water colors..NOT sure if these are originals or not..although being autographed as they are might indicate their authenticity

3/21/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question.

Thanks for the help..

Margaret Jordan Patterson (1867-1950)

"Few American color woodcut pioneers could wrest soft petals from hard woodblocks as well as ***** *****. She came of age in the very early years of the medium and made a specialty of garden flowers. Unusual for color woodcuts at the time, she did not outline her images, instead defining shapes by color alone. When inking this print, she rubbed the paper over her hand-cut wooden blocks so forcefully, she made indentations on the sheet, giving these pansies a three-dimensional quality.

Patterson was in the lineage of Arthur Wesley Dow, who introduced Japanese woodblock printing to America in the 1890s. She studied briefly with him in New York, but it was an artistic sisterhood that led her to color woodcut. She likely learned the technique from the American artist Ethel Mars, who in turn learned it from Dow’s student Edna Boies Hopkins."

Source: Artsmia

Your two 1920s woodblock cut prints signed by the artist Margaret J Patterson sell at auction for $1800-2800 each.

As for retail value, I have seen art sell for 4 to 10 times auction values depending on the tastes of the art gallery owner as well as location of the gallery.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or via consignment can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be the pro that takes the question.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

Thank you very much..these prints have been "hanging around" for a long time and it's good to have an idea of their value..I appreciate your quick answer and you expertise..Bob C

You are welcome, Bob.

*********************
I am only credited by the Just Answer site for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

*********************

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Thank you..

**********************

Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.

Thank you again.
**********************