Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I'd very much welcome your input on my heirloom porcelain…

Hello. I'd very much...

Hello. I'd very much welcome your input on my heirloom porcelain bedroom set. Is it possible to upload a phot?

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It's a 11-piece set: chamber pot with lid, large wash pitcher, two smaller pitchers of different sizes, a soapdish with a drainage insert and lid and a vase nearly the same size as one of the smaller pitchers. No cracks or chips. I found it my grandmother's trunk. She was born in 1865 and died at the age of 101. She was married three different times, the last time to her cousing. ?? I have a pretty good photo file that I could upload--any way to do that?

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

The set is basically white with gold rims on the graceful curly handles and in various places in the design on each piece, which is multiple stylized flowers with green stems and leaves and white raised flowers, edged in gold.

3/21/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

Hello, and thank you for your question.
I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Rarewares

Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including maker's marks.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

Is there a mark on the bottom of any of the pieces?

Most porcelain is marked on the bottom, so I need to know /see that before I answer.

If I am not online when you add more information, I will pick it up first thing in the morning.

there's a mark first line FLORIAN
second line Dec 128, with the 128 written in by hand in gold on a dotted line
third line: MAY?ES
fourth line: BALT with a superscript o at the end
The second biggest pitcher has a handwritten no. 31 in gold and each piece seems to have a different handwritten number in gold.
The photo of the mark is attached

This is an art nouveau period porcelain chamber set made by DF Haynes and Company of Baltimore, Maryland in the Florian pattern with the #128 decoration in green, peach and gold. They made the Florian pattern with several different color glazes, so they used the DEC. section to indicate which colorway was used.

The set was made from 1900 to 1914 based on this mark style on the bottom.

This will look familiar.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/36381693_haynes-arts-and-crafts-pottery-six-piece-chamber-set

Your set has a value of $100 to $140 resale.

To end this one, please click the five stars in the upper right and hit submit.
A good feedback is the only way I am paid separately by the site.
This action does not cost you anything extra.

Rarewares
Thank you very much!

You are welcome. Please click the stars now so the site will compensate me for helping you today.