Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a 12 pc set of Limoges chargers but do not know the…

I have a 12...

I have a 12 pc set of Limoges chargers but do not know the era they are from there is a circle of gold and a cursive script saying Limoges France

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I have photos of the plates front and back. They are gold encrusted with burgundy band and another circle of gold band in the center.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

I purchased them at an antique auction in Nantucket and was told they came from an estate

3/20/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including maker's marks.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

I got them, thank you. The actual maker of the set is under the gold circle.

The red Limoges France mark is the US-based importer that used a generic mark

and covered the actual maker's mark. This was common to do.

You can scrape away the gold paint with a razor blade to reveal the mark underneath, I have done this before and it does not devalue or harm the mark underneath since that mark was fired on and the gold circle is just on the surface. I'd be glad to reassess if you did that and had a mark to add from that spot.

This set of Limoges circa 1910 to 1930 porcelain service plates with a claret border and gold encrusted rims and centers with gold filigree overlay have a value of $80 each which would be approximately $960 for the whole set of 12.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), Wanelo.com, http://www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com, eBay and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an
auction house near you and consign to them.
Please do click the stars now for this one (bonuses are also welcome!), it is very important for me
to get five-star feedback for answers.

Rarewares

Thank you for the good feedback.

If you would like to use me for any future questions,

put For Rarewares in the text of your question.