Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a civil war letter, civil war money, and 3 buttons…

Customer Question
I have a civil war...
I have a civil war letter, civil war money, and 3 buttons all encased. I can not show you the whole letter without destroying it. I have no idea who wrote it and I am not capable of finding that out. The buttons are very unusual after looking them up, because of the writing on the back of them. We saw on liveauctioneers and / or ebay where they are approximately $700 per button (because of the writing on the back of them) but not 100% sure. My estate sale is tomorrow, so I will tip you to work on this ASAP. Please do not take this if you can not give me accurate information or work on it today.Everything pictured is in good condition, but the letter is very delicate due to age. The buttons are in exceptional condition for the age of them. The back of buttons state "Morry Luxenberg London" PLEASE APPRAISE WITH THE WRITING ON THE BACK OF THE BUTTON, and the front are USN (I believe for US Federal Navy).I need Estate Sale pricing please and if it doesn't sell online auction pricing.Thanks so much for your help!
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Antiques
The back of the button picture is the last one
Civil War.jpgCivil War.jpg20180320_120230.jpg2018032...jpg20180320_120243.jpg2018032...jpg20180320_120255.jpg2018032...jpg20180320_120317.jpg2018032...jpg20180320_120341.jpg2018032...jpg20180320_120349.jpg2018032...jpg20180320_120349.jpg2018032...jpg20180320_120409.jpg2018032...jpg20180320_120417.jpg2018032...jpg20180320_120441.jpg2018032...jpg20180320_120427.jpg2018032...jpg20180320_120434.jpg2018032...jpg20180320_120543.jpg2018032...jpg
3/20/2018
Antique Expert: Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions replied 4 months ago
Erin-Marie Wallace
Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions

Dear Cathy,

Thank you for submitting your question to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I would like to assist you with this evaluation. Please give me a few moments to review the information and mages you have submitted and I'll reply with your answer.

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

I've just realized that the image of the back of the button didn't upload to the system, would you mind trying again?

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

Perfect!

Dear Cathy - Quick follow-up, are you able to upload an image of the face of one of the buttons to the system? I have the image of the back perfectly but the face is rather blurry and I'm comparing a couple of details in construction which relate to the value.

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

That's what I was hoping to see. :D

I have an estate sale tomorrow and this is my last item to price. Have you found anything out yet?

Dear Cathy,

I know that time is of the essence for you, just one second, getting ready to hit send...

The easy part.... the Letter - at auction general letters from the Confederacy sell between $80USD - $100USD, more if a specific battle or location is mentioned or it is to or written by a known individual. In a retail setting this would be 2 to 3 times the auction result; so $200 - $300USD for the letter if it can eventually be removed from the backing, if not, then you may need to lower the price by 40% - 50%.

Regarding the buttons.... There are examples of CSA buttons with the "Morry Luxenburg London" being offered on the market - here for $777USD and this pair of converted Cuff links which sold at auction for $250USD. That said, what is troubling me is that the spelling of this company is generally accepted to be Luxenberg rather than Luxenburg so I feel that the buttons are of a later production than the rest of the grouping. I wanted you to have my full thoughts but I am still going to release this question to the rest of the experts on the platform so that they may contribute their expertise as well.

Kindest Regards-

Erin-Marie

I don't know how to close this question out and rate you for your bonus and help with this question