Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I just purchased a breakfront? cabinet from Salvation Army…

Customer Question
I just purchased a...

I just purchased a breakfront? cabinet from Salvation Army that looks like it has been painted over the original finish. It has the John A. Colby & Sons metal tag on an inside drawer. I was wondering what the finish originally looked like, and if the value of the cabinet would rise portportionally

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

With the cost of restoring it to the original color.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Antiques
In the photos, the cabinet looks cream, but in fact it is green.
3/20/2018
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 3 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question.

If you tried to send photos, they did not come through at this end.

Please tell me the approximate height in inches.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the piece.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the piece.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris