Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a salt cellar with scoop on the bottom it has british…

I have a salt...

I have a salt cellar with scoop on the bottom it has british electro plate company made in england with the number 5435 on it. Not sure if it's worth anythin can you please help

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I have typed a message not sure what else I need to do

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the piece.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

Is it going to cost me more money to send photos for your appraisal. Not happy to have to pay for more info on my item

It will absolutely not cost you more money to send pictures.

As for the phone call ad you are seeing...

I do not participate in the phone call services. The ad for a call was auto-generated by the site, not me.
I will still continue to work with you in writing an answer you can print out at no extra cost.

Please know that British silver is one of my specialties. I can give you the most accurate assessment if have photos.

Kind regards,

Doris

Thank you for the excellent photos. Please give me a few minutes to review and type my complete answer.

See the following image. It indicates that the marks you have for the "British Electroplate Company" are "unidentified.

I wish I had better news.

From the style of your plated silver salt (The English dealers' term for a salt cellar) and unusual scoop, they date 1930s.

If they clean up well with no missing plating, the estimated retail value would be $40-50 USD or 52-65 AUD.

To clean, use a soft paste polish. Do not use a gritty polish or pink polish.

Again, I hope this helps.

Positive, please.

Kind regards,

Doris

Thank you just really wanted to know the age of my salt cellar. Wasn't looking to sell it.

Understood. I almost always include selling venues as almost all my clients want that.

*********************
I am only credited by the Just Answer site for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

*********************

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser