Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Please tell me the current market value of the round, cherry…

For Glenda B: Please tell...
For Glenda B: Please tell me the current market value of the round, cherry pedestal table pictured in the attached photo. It is an appropriate height to go beside an antique bed. Unfortunately, the top has a few scratches.
3/20/2018
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

Good Morning

This is Gettysburg Table, not sure why they named them this but, the furniture companies did. It dates to the early 1900's. Most people call them Lamp tables, they would have been in a parlor or library, usually in front of a window, they held a large lamp. Later they started calling these Radio Tables, because people would put their radios on them, in the evenings everyone would gather around the radio to listen to the shows. They called them Soap operas, that name started because soap companies sponsored the shows. . This table is valued at $500.00-600.00.

.

It was a pleasure working for you.
.
When you post a new question, please feel free to add "FOR GLENDA" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'REQUEST AN EXPERT' function OR you can add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.
.
Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this answer with the 5 star rating ( how we are compensated for our work ) I would greatly appreciate it.
.
You should see the rating stars at the top of the page on the left, if you do not find them please let me know.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars. If you are using the Just Answer App, then it is at the bottom of your page.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Thanks so much for the history lesson, Glenda. I'm so glad to know these historical tidbits.

You are very welcome, this is what I used to do when I had my antique shop, I would buy Antique Books, and read them when I was not busy! I learned a lot in those 12 years! Of course I have been in this business since I was a teenager, buying old stuff, then it moved onto buying and selling, appraisal. I am 65 so I have been doing this as long as I can remember.

I hope you have a great day