Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I’m trying to find out if this piece of art is worth

Customer Question
I’m trying to find...

I’m trying to find out if this piece of art is worth anything

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I just know I purchased the painting- I do not know if it’s sign because it’s in a frame

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Is it possible to share a picture

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Antiques
3/19/2018
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 5 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question.

What size is your piece (in inches) not including the frame and mat? Please do not remove from the frame.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.
If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the front and back of your framed piece.

Please send a photo of the signature.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

Do you see the photo

Two photos of the same front view of the painting came through.

I need photos of the back as well as the signature.

I also need size in inches of the sight area.

I’m assuming that the picture is roughly over 100cm

If we do not know the artist, the value is much lower.

Is this on canvas?

Please take a good magnifying glass close to a darker area of the painting. Do you see any tiny white dots or pattern of dots?

Size in feet/inches, please.

I’m not near the painting at this time
I’m assuming it’s a canvas

Can you estimate size in inches?

Since I’m not near it does that mean I have to pay again?!

Absolutely not.

The size is roughly bigger than a poster
Does that help?
Does it even remotely look like it’s worth anything?!
Are you there?!

Please give me time to type.

It is a lovely piece but I cannot confirm that it is an original painting and not a reproduction without your taking a magnifying glass close to it.

Do you think you could do that or have someone else do that?

I can have someone to do it. Can you recommend anyone in Tampa Florida?!
I’m sorry- I have never done something like this so I was unsure if I lost you
if it has dots than it’s a replicate?! I can try when I get home

i can suggest an on site Tampa appraiser if that is what you want. This site service does no offer in person appraisals.

in person appraisals can cost more.

Again, please give me time to type and send my responses or we will get confused.

Well it’s it possible that if there is a signature the frame could be covering it?

If it has tiny white dots in darker area or a pattern of dots, then it is a print.

It is slightly possible there is a signature under the frame but that would be very unusual. Please do not try to remove the picture from its frame. Only a professional framer should do that.

Your honest opinion do you think I should pursue the confirmation if this is an original or let it go?

The poster size suggests a print but the style is not one that is usually a print. It is a portrait.

I do not know your financial situation so I cannot tell you whether to engage the services of an in person appraiser or not.

However, if you just need time to view the piece under a glass, then there is no hurry at this end.

Ok so I will view it. Can I reply back to you

Yes. Just come back to this thread. You may need to log back into the site but you should see this thread then, too.

Ok thank you so much

You are welcome.

I put a light against it and I saw dots
It’s crazy because I can’t find that print anywhere

Looking for an art piece with no signature is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Is it on paper, canvas or board?

I think it’s canvas
Looking at the back

When you looked at back, did you see a canvas?

I don’t know anything about canvas
It just looked like one
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 4 months ago

I am going to make some assumptions for the purpose of trying to give you a value here.

One...It is as described as "poster size" - 36" x 20."

Two....It is on canvas.

Three....it is a print (since there are tiny dots under magnifying glass).

Four....The artist is unknown.

Five.....It is a digital print on canvas.

Taking into consideration these assumptions, the estimated retail value is $450-650 as a framed print on canvas..

It would be best for you to take this to a reputable local framer who could tell you if this is actually an oil painting on canvas by an unknown artist. If that is found to be true, then the estimated retail value of this lovely framed piece (if 36" x 20") would be $1000 - 1300.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices. Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com or nextdoor.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.