Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a Gorham 5 piece silver tea and coffee set marked E…

Customer Question
I have a Gorham...

I have a Gorham 5 piece silver tea and coffee set marked E (a symbol) P and the sugar bowl has YC478 on the bottom. Trying to find a value.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It was bought at Marshall Fields.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Antiques
3/19/2018
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 4 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name isCustomerand I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including maker's marks.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

Make sure all pieces have numbered marks in the YC400 range;

YC476 Coffee Pot, YC477 Tea Pot

YC478 Sugar Bowl with Lid, YC479 Creamer

YC407/2 Platter, etc. Do let me know or add photos. I can answer without them, but I need to know the pieces have these designations on the bottoms.

I haven't taken pictures yet; it will take about 5 minutes to do so plus I have another silver item (Reed & Barton chafing dish set). Is it better to talk or do you want to wait for the pictures?

I do not do the phone service.

I can answer even without pictures since I know this set.

But first, make sure all pieces have numbered marks in the YC400 range;

YC476 Coffee Pot, YC477 Tea Pot

YC407/2 Platter, etc. Do let me know.

The other piece has to be in a new question with ForCustomeras the first words.

This is a 1940's to 1950's silver plated Gorham 5-piece tea service in a pattern that did not have

a formal name. The numbers are what are used to reference the pieces in this set. The EP means Electro-Plated so this set is not sterling silver.

The value of this set (if all pieces are in the 400 numbered series) is $175 resale.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), Wanelo.com, http://www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com, eBay and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an
auction house near you and consign to them.
Please do click the stars now for this one (bonuses are also welcome!), it is very important for me
to get five-star feedback for answers.

Thank you. How about a Reed & Barton Burgandy Chaffing Dish set with the number 2319. Also just notified of a $34 charge but no phone call.

You must click the stars to rate me for answering this question about the tea set first.

You are not charged for a phone call because no one accepted the call offer.

Then start a new question and put ForCustomeras the first words.

I was charged for the phone call plus another charge for $43.00

The experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who do not handle charges,
fees, credit cards, memberships or subscriptions in any way or form.

Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 months ago

I am following up to see if you are happy with your answer.
Please do let me know by clicking the five stars.