Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have three silver plates with an embossed design. They…

I have three silver...

I have three silver plates with an embossed design. They were obviously taken from something as they have nail holes. I got them in Lubumbashi Zaire in the 80s. The design looks religious, but I cannot identify the religion, It is definitely not African

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I have been looking for a matching design or theme for years, and nothing matches. Want to see pictures?

3/19/2018
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

My name is Glenda,
I am reviewing your question.
I will return in just a moment.

Hello, my name is Glenda
.
Do you have pictures you can send?
.
If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then Click the link: for instructions on uploading images, Be sure to be signed into Google Chrome in order for this link to work, if not signed into Google Chrome, then you have to copy and paste the link in your browser.
.
ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl
.
If your pictures are on a phone, plug the phone into the computer, then you can upload to the site right from the phone, the phone will be treated as a removable drive.
.
Or you can use this site, then forward the link from your pictures to the messsage area.
https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/210076663-Upload-Images
.

Or you can send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
.
Glenda

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
attached 4 photos

Hello

I am sorry I cannot tell what these are, I am going to opt out, one of the other experts may know these.

Glenda

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

What size are they? Do you have any pictures of the backs?

~Diana

Hi. Thank you so much. I'll take a look at all your pictures and see what I can find out for you.

~Diana

Hi. Thank you for all your patience.

.

These look to be silver repousse panels. They almost look to be part of a story. You have the large panel that features what looks like a hunting scene while the two smaller ones look like some kind of offering and a servant attending to an elder, maybe a king.

.

The figures are all designed from a side profile and feature very straight lines from the forehead down the nose and deeply set eyes. They're ornate, but fairly simple in the design. The panels have floral scroll borders.

.

The style and way the people are depicted is similar to Byzantine art. The Byzantine Empire is also called the Eastern Roman Empire. I originally thought they might be Russian Orthodox pieces. Given the history you have on the piece and where you got it, I'd say they're very likely Greek Orthodox icons. Given they way they have holes, they were likely either mounted as plaques. They could be part a box or maybe a triptych.

.

https://imgur.com/a/2sf0i

.

Dating is a little harder to do when you can't inspect them and there is a bit of wear and corrosion, but I don't think their as "ancient" as they look. I think they're more likely from the 17th or 18th centuries.

.

Your large panel should be worth about $400 to $450, while the two smaller ones should be worth about $150 to $200.

.

The price will vary a bit depending on where you try to sell it. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction, Ebay, or selling it to a dealer.

.

For selling it yourself, Etsy is a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Charish are great online stores too. They generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey. They do get the "higher" paying customers though. Etsy actually has one of the lowest current rates.

.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale. The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I had wondered about Byzantine era, but I could not find anything similar, and I have no idea what the story presented is. I appreciate your checking this out for me. I am not looking to sell. I just wondered what I had been carrying around for so long. Who knows what people brought with them when they came to Africa and how it ended up in a parking lot in Lubumbashi? Fascinating.

Hi. You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help. They're fantastic little pieces.

.

I figure they may have made their way to Lubumbashi by someone from the Greek community. The style is a little hard to ignore. It definitely has a Byzantine influence in the way the figures are depicted. Maybe they belonged to an ancestor and traveled with the family when they moved?

.

The story is still a bit of mystery. I can interpret the scenes, but I don't know of any particular biblical story that lines up exactly what those images. I actually looked through various stories from Greek mythology up to historical stories, but found nothing that quite lined up. I agree, they're very fascinating.

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser