Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Rarewares: can you give me any information for value and age…

Rarewares: can you give me...
Rarewares: can you give me any information for value and age and on this (oak?)5 shelf with bottom drawer and button feet Etagere? Possibly where it came from?Measures: it progressively gets larger towards the bottom. It has one drawer on the bottom that is dove tailed.
3 tips of the finials have been repaired but not noticeable. All the rest are intact. The whole piece is strong and appears to be put together like a puzzle, there are no nails or connectors. The finish is nice but has normal wear for its apparent age.The pictures start out from the front to side to bottom drawer, bottom drawer showing carving, back of the unit, top of shelf to show you the actual finish. The wood has been cleaned and polished with a light wood cleaner/polish. It was pretty dusty and dirty. I can take it outside for a photo if necessary. It is pretty solid and heavy. I can move it but I have to go slow with it and normally I move a lot of furniture.Thank you!57” tall
31” W at base and 22” wide at top
8 1/4” D at top and 12” D at the bottom
The top arch carving is 4 1/4” T, all other 4 are 3 1/4” tall.
image0.jpgimage0.jpgimage1.jpgimage1.jpgimage2.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage4.jpgimage5.jpgimage5.jpgimage6.jpgimage6.jpg
3/19/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

Thank you for the images, I will look these over for you.

Thank you

This is a circa 1860 Victorian walnut five-tier

etagere (also called a whatnot shelf) with one drawer, fretwork and bobbin turned supports.

This piece in good condition has a value of $500 resale.

To end this one, please click the five stars in the upper right and hit submit.

Thank you. Any idea where it is from?

This was a style common in England but it was also common in the US.

Without marks, I could not be 100% certain.

Ok yes there are no marks. Any idea of what it’s worth as is?
I have bought about using rose paper to line the drawer but fear I’ll take away from the value.
Thought about...

No, do not line the drawer at all.

I would value this piece at $500 resale in this condition.

I would not take any less than $300 if you are in a negotiating position when you sell.

If you let me know your venue (online, antique shop in big city, shop in small city, consigning to a dealer shop)

then I can adjust pricing going forward for the specific way you are planning to sell.

I use several. Online yard sales. Offer up. Cherish, Veragesale. Should I contact an antique dealer? I’m not sure what venue to go so I’d appreciate it.

Some sites that I recommend for selling on your own are www.loveseat.com (in CA),
Pamono.com, Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), http://www.revueconsignment.com/ (in Ohio),
Chairish.com, Ioffer.com, and letgo.com (local). Do not sell to a dealer, they would offer you $175 for this piece.

Chairish has become one of the most popular as of late.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
They do all of the work and you get a check 14 to 45 days after the sale minus their 15% to 25% (negotiable!) commission. You would get much less but they do all of the work.
***Please take a moment to click the five stars. Bonuses are also welcome! ***

Rarewares
Just one final word. Are my pictures ok? I sincerely ***** ***** knowledge:).

Great pictures! I appreciate the white door as a background the most!

When items are on busy or colored (red and green are the worst)backgrounds, it is harder to see and evaluate.

Always remember, if the item is dark use a white background. If the item is white, then use a black or grey background.

Got it! Thanks!!