Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an original water color and ink painting circa 1930…

I have an original...

I have an original water color and ink painting circa 1930 by Henry Sugimoto of a village scene in France. How much is it worth today?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Most of his painting are in museums

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Not That I can think of

This artist was famous before he was sent to a Japanese Internment Camp during WW2. His daughter, Madeleine had the paintings that were still in her possession placed in museums in 2015.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/19/2018
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Hi I would be happy to help you. I know his work well. Please let me know the measurements of this painting and if it is framed. If possible can you post a photo of the over all piece for reveiw . This will help in giving you values. To post photos here click on the paper clip or file upload button and follow the prompts. If photos aren't available I will just need the measurements . He did many beautiful pieces. I look forward to helping you.
Thank you for the photos I will review them and post back when completed.
The first photo has a lot of reflections on the glass. Hopefully the second one shows that the painting is in excellent condition. However the mat looks to be aging and I plan on reframing it.
I can see that the painting is excellent . Thank you. This is a beautiful piece

Just an update for you I have contacted several auction houses to get most current sell prices. I will have this completed by this afternoon thank you so much for your patience I wanted to be as accurate as possible on this piece for you.

Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.

Thank you for your patience this has a value of 2500-3200.00 in today's market. The realistic value of this painting if you were to sell it today would be 1750-2000.00 as the market is poor all around. People dont wish to pay full price or value. I would suggest to hold on to this painting and watch the market if you are wishing to sell it. His paintings will only increase over time and would be well worth waiting to gain the most value from it.

His paintings have a huge following in the art field from a historical point of view and from the artists' quality of his works. He died in 1990 but his story carries on through time.

There are many biographies on him I am attaching the wikipedia page below on him as it covers the most about his life and paintings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Sugimoto

Henry Yuzuru Sugimoto (March 12, 1900 – May 8, 1990) was a Japanese artist, art teacher and a survivor of Japanese American Internment during World War II. Sugimoto became a naturalized citizen of the United States in 1952.

If I have helped you fully please rate my reply by the stars above our post and if you have further questions on this please let me know as I am always happy to help you.

LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Thank you! You have been very helpful. I do not plan on selling the painting anytime soon, and I am sure that one of my daughters will want to hang on to it as well. It is just nice to know that it was a wise investment besides being a beautiful addition to our walls.