Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I just bought a house found a bag full of (i think) silver…

Customer Question
I just bought a...

I just bought a house found a bag full of (i think) silver dishes that has a Spiderweb mark with a "W" about 5 different things

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

They look like "sugar" holders? Handles on both ends, some look like a server/pourer, also found boxes of stuff labeled crystal - full of glass items - how do I know if it's crystal

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

On the silver things - the number 668 is engraved on the bottom

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 4 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question.

Please send a picture of your silver things. Use the ADD FILES link.

I cannot value your crystal items in this one single question but I can tell you how to tell the difference between glass and crystal.

Here are some quick tips on how to distinguish classic crystal from plain glass:

Hold up a glass to the light. If the glass acts as a prism and you see a rainbow you are holding crystal. If not, it is just plain glass.
When struck, crystal produces a musical ring. Glass does not.
If you wet your finger and run it around the rim of a crystal glass it will also produce a musical tone.
Crystal can be worked thinner than glass, so if the rim of a piece is exceptionally thin it's probably crystal.
If you compare two glasses of the same size, the crystal glass will be heavier.
Glass typically has sharp cuts, while crystal will have clean, rounded cuts.

Source: Michael Fina

I am familiar with the W mark you describe but I cannot value the items without knowing what they are.