Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a cherry natural finish Stickley chest of drawers. It…

I have a cherry...

I have a cherry natural finish Stickley chest of drawers. It has the Leopold Stickley 1957 paper label in it. It is from L. & J.G. Stickley, Inc., Fayetteville, NY and is numbered 3205. Stickley piece have a wide price range. Can you give me an idea of the value?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

It is in excellent condition.

3/18/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Do you have any photos of it that you can send?

.

To send photos:

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

thanks,

Diana

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will take photos now send them through the link.

Great. Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sending pics now.
9757B3ED-0618-4BA4-95F4...jpeg9757B3...jpeg8534FF4B-DEA4-4C04-9A0E...jpeg8534FF...jpegF79161E9-9C01-4306-AE81...jpegF79161...jpegC06421E8-00A0-4837-94BF...jpegC06421...jpegC88F491A-89FC-4493-B622...jpegC88F49...jpeg

Thank you! if you'll give me a few minutes, I'll take a look and put together the value for you.

~Diana

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Only took pictures from the front because it was wrapped in a moving blanket. My Dad bought about 1 year before he was diagonosised with Cancer. Barely used.

Aw. I'm sorry to hear that. I noticed it was in excellent shape. I hate that that is the reason why.

.
It's a 4 over 4 drawer chippendale style dresser. Some call them higboys or highboy dressers too. I notice that it also has a tie drawer. That's a nice feature and not one you see much anymore. The cherry finish looks great and it has a wonderful grain pattern. It has the original batwing style pulls too.

.

Given the condition, a piece like that will be worth about $1250 to $1500 in a private sale. At auction, you generally expect about 1/2 that.

.

The price really depends on how quick you want to make a sale and where you want to try and sell it. If you can get a collector, they will pay almost full value for it, but that means waiting on a sale. Shipping can be quite expensive because of the weight and I know a lot of buyers aren't necessarily willing to pay full value of something and then pay a ton for shipping too. So, in many cases you would have to factor shipping cost into what you might be able to sell it for.

.

While I'm not a huge fan, there is always craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale, though I think the values aren't quite as high as you can get elsewhere. The only downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places

.

I would try an auction as a last resort for something like this because they are really dependent upon who is the audience. Large items tend to go either way. If you do check with an auction house, ask about setting a reserve price. That way you'll have some control over the final price.
.

If you consider Ebay, consider a reserve and check into alternate shipping options, like freight, greyhound, uship, cratesandfreighters, etc. or you can list it as a pickup only. If you consider doing a pickup only, you can also list it with online antique shops like Rubylane, Charish, or GoAntiques.
.
That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
.
I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.

I look forward to working with you again.
.

Have a great day.
.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. Thank you for the positive rating. I appreciate it. If there's anything else I can do just let me know.

Best Wishes,
Diana

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser