Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I am hoping you can help with this painting.it is 53x30

hi i am hoping you...
hi i am hoping you can help with this painting.it is 53x30 signed by A Devity there is not a studio stamp on the back
20180318_120807.jpg2018031...jpgIMG_20180318_120910.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20180318_120939.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20180318_121900.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20180318_121948.jpgIMG_201...jpg
3/18/2018
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hi Thank you for the request I will begin on this now and post back when completed Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks

Thank you for requesting me. I appreciate it. This is a Paris street scene and he was known for these types of paintings. The value is(###) ###-####00 and depends on how you market this as his works fluctuate all over the board. The large size means a predominant wall to view this on. If you are looking to sell this I would try the Auction Houses listed below to give you a wider audience and higher value then privately selling. Thank you

Antonio De Vity (1901-1993)

He was born in Reggio-Calbria in southern Italy. He lived in Naples and later moved to Rome where he was taught by Giacomo Balla, creator of futurism. He lived and worked in Paris, then returned to Naples, opening a studio and producing paintings of France and Italy for the remainder of his career.

De Vity's works have won international awards and he is recognized for his bright colors and impressionist treatment of the streets and waterways of Paris and Venice.

__________________________________________

Auctions that have handled his pieces in the last three years:

Butterscotch Auction Gallery

PO Box 168
Pound Ridge, NY 10576

Austin Auction Gallery
8414 Anderson Mill Road
Austin, TX ###-##-####/p>

Pays de Fayence Enchères –Estimations
RD- 562 au niveau du Relaid du Lac Salle Centrale
Montauroux France

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does the lack of back stamp mean anything why doesn't have one

Not all paintings had back stamps. Some galleries or studios put them on and others do not. This may have been a painting he sold through his own store and chose not to have a studio stamp. I have not seen his paintings have back stamps.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok that was part of my problem because all of the ones on line claim to be authentic because of the studio back stamp

I am glad I could help thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is it authentic without

Yes this is a true painting, authentic

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One last question do you know what year he started using the stamp

Thank you please allow me to look this up and I will post back here shortly.

The "studio D'Arte Italia" stamp on the back began in 1951 and ended when his studio closed.

Thank you also here is another short biography on him

Antonio DeVity (1901-1993) Antonio De Vity was born in Reggio Calbria, he was an Italian painter born in Naples. He moved to Paris where he studied under Antoine Blanchard and with Giacomo Balla. He is known for pictures of Paris street life and also Venetian canals. During his time in Paris, he attended L'Ecole des Beaux Arts and exhibited at Notre Dame, le Café de la paix, and le Moulin Rouge. DeVity returned to Naples in 1950 and opened a studio that, within ten years, became a key meeting place for Neapolitan artists. More than 20 painters studied with him and he had exhibits in major international cities including 1953 in Bruxelles, 1955 in Marrakech, and 1956 in Madrid. He spent his later life in Naples where his studio sold and exported works for many years. His works are said to have won international awards and his pieces are widely collected. (quoted from Wikipedia)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Last do you think this panting is 1950 since it has no stamp

Yes I believe it is one that was done free style on the streets and signed. It may be late 1940s to 1950 I dont believe it was one he did in his studio.

LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thank you for your time and patience I will give you an excellent rating now
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser