Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

My mother passed away and left me some porcelain tea cups I…

Customer Question
My mother passed away...

My mother passed away and left me some porcelain tea cups I have some pictures

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Can I upload pics?

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

The cups are over 100 years old with saucers but I don't know if saucers were part of a set or just happened to match

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Antiques
3/18/2018
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 4 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question.

I can only take three cup and saucers in this one single question.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?
If so, then, for each set, please send photos of one set at a time.
Please send ONE photo of ONE cup and saucer showing the pattern.
Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.
If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.
An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

there are only 2 cups and 2 saucers. the saucers have numbers on bottom (6482 and 6483 it looks like). The cups have no markings except what looks like a painted rising sun on bottoms but its very hard to see the actual symbol. I know she inherited the cups in the 1970s from a lady who inherited them from her grandmother. A gentleman came to our house when I was a child and told mom to get them appraised. He said if she ever sold them that she should go to Southeby's auction. Obviously, she never did and told me to get them appraised after her death. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
shell cups 001.jpgshell c...jpgshell cups 002.jpgshell c...jpgshell cups 003.jpgshell c...jpgshell cups 005.jpgshell c...jpgshell cups 007.jpgshell c...jpgshell cups 009.jpgshell c...jpg

I will still continue to work with you in writing an answer you can print out at no extra cost.

Thank you for the information and photos. They really help.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I want you to have the best answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

how long will you need?
do I need to wait here?

It might be best to not wait by your computer. The research could take 10 minutes or as much as an hour to give a thorough answer.

ok I'll check back. You have my number if you need to call me.

********************
I do not participate in the phone call services. The ad for a call was auto-generated by the site, not me.

********************

ok thank you. I'll log off for now and check back in an hour.

The rising sun symbol was used in Japan as far back as the 1600s.

Your two sets appear to have been made in a Japanese art studio in the late 19thC - early 20thC when the influence of majolica styles was prevalent.

The estimated retail value of each set $75-90 .

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices. Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.