Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

3/18/2018
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Thank you. Is there a label on the back, or do you know any history of when it was done or who did it? If not, can you send a close up photo of the Latin at the bottom? Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was done in the 60s I believe it is no longer allowed to be done.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you notice the broken toe
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any info
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is the result
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Brass rubbing date back to the around the 13th century. They were literally images pulled from originally stone and later brass plates. Some are pretty primitive looking and were done with just your basic charcoal or wax. They ranged from small drawings to literally life size works. There were no cameras back then, so people would often use wax and paper placed over brass plates to make copies of the images. During the Victorian times (1800s) they became a popular trend to have a memento from a church and that's really where the brass rubbing trend took off.

.

These days, most of the sites aren't real happy with people pulling rubbings from the memorials, so many copies have been made and you can make your own rubbings from those. Rubbings for tourists has always been a popular trend.

.

You can also buy smaller plates and full rubbings straight from gift shops these days. For example, the London Brass Rubbing Centre (in St. Martin-in-the-Fields, Trafalgar Square) has a huge variety of plates that you can either buy rubbings of or make your own.

.

Many of the more modern versions are done with color chalk, which wasn't as readily available in the past. Today they often use black or dark colored paper with colored waxes. This allows the person to have silver for the chain maille, flesh tones for the face, etc.

.

I did research the latin plate on your piece to see who the person or locate what church it might have come from, but I didn't have any luck. The "who' the rubbing depicts isn't really as important as the size and quality. You have a monumental rubbing. The quality is pretty good. It's a black crayon rubbing. It's nice and dark and you can make out the detailing in the armor and plate. It does have a slight mistake in the missing foot that you mentioned. The pommel of the sword is also missing. Given the quality of the rest, that's not really a big deal.

.

Given the size and excellent framing, it should be worth about $200 to $250 in a private sale. At auction, you can expect about 1/2 that value.

.

The price will vary a bit depending on where you try to sell it. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction, Ebay, or selling it to a dealer.

.

For selling it yourself, Etsy is a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores too. They generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey. They do get the "higher" paying customers though. Etsy actually has one of the lowest current rates.

.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale. The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. Thank you for the positive rating. I appreciate it. If there's anything else I can do just let me know.

Best Wishes,
Diana

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser