Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

We have inherited what my mother always told us was a 1939…

We have inherited what...

We have inherited what my mother always told us was a 1939 Heywood Wakefield Sofa and 2 Chairs. One chair has a drop leaf side table attached to the arm. Where do I find the value of this furniture?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It is a wood frame, there are no markings on the wood showing the brand name, the cushions have been re-upholstered and are extremely heavy! The hardware used to put it together is original and philips head looking screws. I believe it is Maple wood and an Amber shade which could have darkened a bit due to age. Other than that, not much.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

I do have pictures if that helps?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I'd love to help.
I can help quite easily if you can add photos. Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload pictures.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

Look under the table, under chairs, etc for any maker's marks or labels.

We checked for any markings and found nothing. We were told the furniture was purchased in 1939

This is a maple living room set similar to those designed by Gilbert Rohde for Heywood Wakefield

in the art deco period (1930's to 1940's) as part of their Old Colony line of furniture.

The value is $1000 for the couch and $400 for the chair without a table, $500 for the chair with table.

Some sites that I recommend for selling on your own are www.loveseat.com (in CA),
Pamono.com, Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), http://www.revueconsignment.com/ (in Ohio),
Chairish.com, Ioffer.com, and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
They do all of the work and you get a check 14 to 45 days after the sale minus their 15% to 25% (negotiable!) commission.
***Please take a moment to click the five stars. Bonuses are also welcome! ***

Rarewares
Thank you very much for your help! I wasn't having any luck finding anything out there that looked like it!