Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

S, Here is something else I found this weekend. It is a

Robert S, Here is something...
Robert S, Here is something else I found this weekend. It is a small plate or plaque by Westraven/Royal Delft. The plate is 6 1/8" tall x 4 5/8" wide. There are holes drilled on the back and it came with it's own copper hanger. It also has the Certificate of Authenticity with it that has the information printed in 4 languages. It is new and comes in the original box it was purchased in with the hanger and certificate. I do not know the age or what price to mark it at. Any information would be very welcome. Thanks again and photos attached.
IMG_1988.JPGIMG_1988.JPGIMG_1896.JPGIMG_1896.JPGIMG_1898.JPGIMG_1898.JPGIMG_1900.JPGIMG_1900.JPGIMG_1903.JPGIMG_1903.JPGIMG_1904.JPGIMG_1904.JPGIMG_1897.JPGIMG_1897.JPG
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/18/2018
Josie-Mod
I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when he is back online.
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Linda,

This is a pretty piece of Dutch delftware. I like the way they even included a loop of copper hanging wire. How very practical!

Westraven are based in Utrecht, Holland, and started life as a roof tile factory in the 19th century. In the second half of the 20th century they branched out into mid-century modern art pottery, particularly that of Cris Agterberg, a very talented designer, painter and sculptor who put Westraven on the modern ceramic art map, when he designed for them for a number of years.

Then in 1994 they merged with de Porceleyne Fles (aka Royal Delft), so this piece dates to post-merger, probably some time in the late 1990s as there doesn't seem to be any website address printed on the certificate (a sure sign of 21stC material).

The plaque is largely hand-painted -over a printed outline of the design to act as a guide- and was produced in a limited production run of 5000.

There's a complimentary design, Dekor No 24.24 which goes with this one to make a 'true pair' and they sell on line (eBay etc) in the range of $20 - $35 each. Full retail/replacement value $60.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.