Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a very old silver or silver plate bowl with cherubs

Customer Question

i have a very old silver or silver plate bowl with cherubs all over.. was my grandmothers Maked international S. Co. I think it says 1239 or 1339 or 1229. Then 4 fancy letters that I cannot make out. above the international s,co. there is an arched design which says something that starts with a "D" any ideas?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: n0
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including maker's marks.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

I will do my best to answer without photos.

A silver plated bowl with cherubs made by International Silver Company

in pattern number 1**9, likely also reads EPNS in fancy letters which represent

Electro Plated Nickel Silver (silver plated). This bowl would date to the early 20th-century

and have a value of $65 resale.

If it were sterling silver, it would HAVE to be also marked either 925/1000 fine, 925 or STERLING

on the bottom with these other marks.

To end this one, please click the five stars in the upper right and hit submit.
A good feedback is the only way I am paid separately by the site.
This action does not cost you anything extra.

I am following up to see if you are happy with your answer.
Please do let me know by clicking the five stars.