Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a yellow teapot with flowers, ladybugs, and

dragonflies. It is signed on...
I have a yellow teapot with flowers, ladybugs, and dragonflies. It is signed on the bottom, but I sure can't make out the signature.
Is anyone working on this?
Answered in 1 day by:
3/20/2018
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

I see you have been awaiting a response on this teapot.

I would be happy to provide an assessment, however the signature is illegible.

Please let me know if you would like to continue.

~Nora

Hi Nora, I had the same problem trying to decipher the signature. Yes, please continue and tell me what you can about it.

Certainly, I will be happy to help.

This is a yellow glossy glazed 20th century teapot, from the late 2nd half of the 20th century, or about 1980 - 1990s.

The relief decorations were molded and glazed in various colors and then 'sprigged' or applied to the surface. There is also some free hand painting underglaze of leaves and tendrils to add dimension to the applied decoration.

It is hand signed underglaze on the underside. Usually these hand written cursive marks on the underside spell out "Italy", however the signature on this does not spell out the word Italy. It is more than likely that this was produced in China for export to the West. It is not unusual for hand signed objects from China (even paintings) to have illegible signatures in what appears to be the Western alphabet. Since the Chinese have their own characters for their written language, words attempted to be written in western letters are often jumbled.

A fair asking price for this teapot is $20 - $30.

You will now need to please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Nora

Thanks for the positive rating! Much Appreciated.

I would be happy to help you with any items in the future.

When you post a new question, please feel free to add "For Nora" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'request an expert' function and 'favorite' me as your personal expert.

Sincerely,

Nora