Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I bought this with a lot of other chandeliers at an auction…

I bought this with a...
I bought this with a lot of other chandeliers at an auction where they were selling a lot of French antiques. Is it French? It is very heavy for a sconce, about 6-7 lbs. I find some that are similar but they have a hand holding it up and not what appears to be a cloth. Any information is greatly appreciated.
image0.jpgimage0.jpgimage1.jpgimage1.jpgimage2.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage4.jpg
3/18/2018
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

Good Morning

Hope you are doing good.

Is this electric? Did you look very close to see if there are any markings on it? It does appear to be bronze or at least a mixed metal with Bronze exterior.

I cannot find any markings....it is electric....no plug though

Do these look like they were wired later, as if they were antique from say the 19th C or do they appear to have been wired originally?

It was wired originally...

Hello

I was searching French Torch Sconces, and it seems these were made in the 1920-25 era, they are made in the style of the Empire style from the Louis XVI era from the 19thC. Yours are very nice, and look very much like the Torch Sconces from that era, the original ones are value at $1***-**-****.00,. Your Sconces are valued and sell at $500.00-650.00 for the set, I did see some as high as $750.00 for a pair but, I am not sure you could get that high these days. If they were mine I would list them for 650.00.

These would have been entry way Sconces, mantle or possibly even used on the Porch on either side of a front Door.

.

These are very nice, and they really look like the original style, the foundry did a good job pouring the metal in the mold.

It was a pleasure working for you.
.
When you post a new question, please feel free to add "FOR GLENDA" at the beginning of your question so as to ensure that I will be the one who answers your question for you. You can also try the 'REQUEST AN EXPERT' function OR you can add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.
.
Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this answer with the 5 star rating ( how we are compensated for our work ) I would greatly appreciate it.
.
You should see the rating stars at the top of the page on the left, if you do not find them please let me know.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars. If you are using the Just Answer App, then it is at the bottom of your page.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
I also only have one of these...should I try for 250.00 to 300.00 or lower since there is only one

I would list it for 300.00. These are great! They are so worth it. If it does not sell at that you can always lower it.

Glenda