Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I just purchased a Hickory Chair Pedestal Drum Table at a…

Hello, I just purchased a Hickory...
I just purchased a Hickory Chair Pedestal Drum Table at a resale shop. It is exactly the same as the shown on this link.
https://viyet.com/hickory-chair-pedestal-drum-table-tab-43064-8007.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7vjfn-D02QIVA57ACh15Uw4-EAYYASABEgJ8IvD_BwEIt is in decent condition, but I have no idea when it was made or what its value might be. i found one link on ebay. However, you never know about ebay prices. I have found multiple links that just lead to more information request links.THe table top is exactly the same. It is very nice looking. It is also very heavy.Any info would be appreciated.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question.

History of the Hickory Chair Co founded in 1811.

http://www.madebyhickorychair.com/hickory-chair-a-100-year-story.html

History of the Hickory Chair Company James River Collection

"Since 1941, Hickory Chair has provided classic forms inspired by the antiques found in the elegantly appointed interiors of plantation homes found along the James River in Virginia. This lovely collection recaptures the spirit and details that embody the fine aesthetics of 18th Century design including balance in scale, refinement in shapes and lines, intricate inlays and crisp carvings, acanthus leaves, shells, and ball and claw feet. Each piece is crafted to Old World standards and with your finish selection patinas are hand-rubbed to a depth that reflects beauty and personalization."

Source: Hickory Chair Company website

Hickory Chair has made your James River style drum table since 1941 to the present.

It is impossible to know exactly when since 1941 your table was made. All that have been made are identical.

The one in the picture you sent is new, not used.

As a used example of this James River Hickory Chair Co drum table, the estimated retail value is $1800-2000.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices. Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

I do not know what you mean? I did not send you a link to table. You sent me one.

The label in your table is the James River Plantation Collection drum table.

The one in your picture is a James River Collection by Hickory (according to the label you sent) drum table made since 1941.

As a vintage, used piece of furniture, the estimated retail value would not be over $2000.

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.

Thank you again.
**********************