Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I recently acquired a set of silverware in the Legacy

I recently acquired a...

I recently acquired a set of silverware in the Legacy pattern made in 1928 that was bought by my grandparents in 1932. It is a complete service for 8 including sugar spoon and butter knife. I want to know how to tell what type of silver it is and the value. It has 1847 Rogers Bros on back of each piece and IS which I learned means International Silver. It is in the original leather type folding case with a red velvet and silky lining and each piece is held in place by velvet straps. Included is a . purchase card filled out by my grandmother with my grandfather's name on it and their address etc, Other than that I don't know much about it.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

I have explained everything I know about it.

3/17/2018
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question

"Complete Sets" come in many different sizes.

Please tell me the following -

Your set serves 8 people.?

How many pieces does each person have?

What serving pieces are there? These can add as much as 30% to the value of a set.

!!!!!Please do not send photos of the whole set. I cannot tell what pieces are in a set via such a photo!!!!

Kind regards,
Doris

You started a new question about this same set. I reported it as a duplicate so that you are not charged twice.

Please respond in this thread.

There are 8 place settings, knife, fork, and teaspoon plus 8 serving spoons and 1 butter knife and 1 sugar spoon.
I just want some information about this set and can't spend extra money at this time. Thanks

I do not participate in the phone call services. The ad for a call was auto-generated by the site, not me.
I will still continue to work with you in writing an answer you can print out at no extra cost.

The Legacy pattern marked IS and Rogers was first produced in 1928. It has been discontinued.

The estimated retail value of your plated silver set is $250-300.

Unfortunately, plated silver has dropped significantly in value in the last 20 years.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices. Sales in the eBay "Buy It Now" format are closer to retail.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20%-50% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.
You can also add me as a 'FAVORITE' to your personal expert.

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Thank you very much. I am grateful for your help. Was not sure if it was silver plated. I will not be selling it but thank you for the advice. It is in excellent condition and looks as if it was saved for special occasions and not used much.
One more question if you can help. Not about silver. I had to reset my password ***** the site did not recognize and the payment site came up again. I feel I might have paid twice. How can I find out about that.?

Site Charges:

We professionals are not considered employees of Just Answer, We are verified by the site to answer questions in our fields. We are considered site users just like you. Therefore we have no knowledge of or control over the finances of the site or what they charge customers.

If you wish to discuss site charges, see this link.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

OR

Email address:

***@******.*** (send no photos - special instructions)

Or by phone:

US/Canada 1.***-***-**** OR 1.***-***-****

Available 6am to 9pm PST

International

Australia 1800-679-634

New Zealand 0800-452-621

United Kingdom 0***-***-****

The rest of the world 1-***-***-****

Kind regards,

Doris

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.

Thank you again.
**********************