Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a set of either antique Chinese or Japanese hand

I have a set...

I have a set of either antique Chinese or Japanese hand carved nesting tables and I want to find out more about them. I did find a very old looking piece of paper that says stock number 5257. The tables are carved out on the tops sides and down the legs

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

There is blue glass that is held in place on the tops with what looks to be brass/copper(goldfish looking material in the corners.

3/17/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Do you have any photos of it that you can send?

.

To send photos:

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

thanks,

Diana

Sure here are some pictures
DFD548C2-81D3-4A51-A64D...jpegDFD548...jpeg125EC944-649A-4494-B6BF...jpeg125EC9...jpegF3FAAE34-D78C-417B-A99D...jpegF3FAAE...jpegADDA545E-9D1F-42A2-A906...jpegADDA54...jpegEF77D2FD-E562-4729-A40F...jpegEF77D2...jpegF59A6B3B-7F13-4D54-B94B...jpegF59A6B...jpeg096488F6-B0FD-4C12-ABD1...jpeg096488...jpeg7AF63C1C-5013-4BC8-A620...jpeg7AF63C...jpeg10FE4A6A-4F61-4D45-9D2C...jpeg10FE4A...jpeg4B0AB723-78AD-4465-9CA3...jpeg4B0AB7...jpeg3DD5DBB6-4CF2-4E7F-B82E...jpeg3DD5DB...jpeg
Did you get the photos?

Hi. I just did. Thank you. If you'll give me a few minutes to look them over, I'll see what I can put together for you.

~Diana

Sounds great!

Hi. Just one more question, how many tables do you have? Most nesting tables were a set of 3, but that can vary.

~Diana

Total of 4

Hi. Thank you. I'm sorry I stepped away for a second and just missed your reply.

.

.

As far as your nesting tables go, they're a set of carved Chinese nesting tables. They look like they're likely carved out of camphor wood. Most of these were carved teak or camphor, though you might see a few rosewood. They're carved on top with various courtyard scenes and feature a flower blossom border. That carved flower design is repeated on the aprons and legs. The sides also feature a bit of a similar courtyard style scene, which ties the whole design together.

.

They should date to the 1940s/50s. They are the kind of the tables that were fairly popular after WWII. The vast majority were made in factories in Hong Kong and exported by companies like Zee or Hung Hop Chest Co. and a lot of was sold to military soldiers and personnel during the Korean and Vietnam wars and brought back home.

.
With a set of 3, they'll be worth about $450 to $550. At auction you generally expect about 1/2 that.

.

Your round table is a Chinese round folding table. It's been brushed with black, but it looks like the underlying wood might be camphor. It features a deeply carved landscape scene featuring buildings, trees, the sky and various figures. It should date to about the 1950s/1960s.

.
Condition isn't that bad. I know you said the hinges are broke, but that's a fairly easy fix. Give the condition, it should be worth about $350 to $450.

.

The prices really depends on how quick you want to make a sale and where you want to try and sell them. If you can get a collector, they will pay almost full value for it, but that means waiting on a sale. Shipping can be quite expensive because of the weight and I know a lot of buyers aren't necessarily willing to pay full value of something and then pay a ton for shipping too. So, in many cases you would have to factor shipping cost into what you might be able to sell it for.

.

While I'm not a huge fan, there is always craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale, though I think the values aren't quite as high as you can get elsewhere. The only downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places

.

I would try an auction as a last resort for something like this because they are really dependent upon who is the audience. Large items tend to go either way. If you do check with an auction house, ask about setting a reserve price. That way you'll have some control over the final price.
.

If you consider Ebay, consider a reserve and check into alternate shipping options, like freight, greyhound, uship, cratesandfreighters, etc. or you can list it as a pickup only. If you consider doing a pickup only, you can also list it with online antique shops like Rubylane, Charish, or GoAntiques.
.
That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
.
I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.

I look forward to working with you again.
.

Have a great evening.
.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. Thank you for the positive rating, I appreciate it. If there's anything else I can do, please let me know.

Best Wishes,
Diana