Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I was wondering what the value of Poems by Dickenson

I was wondering what...

I was wondering what the value of Poems by Emily Dickenson published in 1890 and 1891 by Roberts Brothers would be? In good condition

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I was just wondering about the Emily Dickenson books

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Not to my knowledge

3/17/2018
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Can you tell me a bit more about it? What is the actual title of your book? Does it say who the book was edited by? How many pages is your version? What does the cover look like? Is it leather or cloth? What color is it? Does the cover have any designs?

.

If you want to send photos, it's not necessary, but could be helpful.

.

To send photos:

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

Thanks,
Diana

The first book is "Poems" by Emily Dickenson and the other one is "Poems " by Emily Dickenson, Second Series
They appear to be a set and the cover appears to be like a cardboard with about a one inch green margin going down the spine side of the book and it appears that there are gold etched flowers on the beige part
The first book has 152 pages and the second 230
They both say "edited by two of her friends, T.W.Higgenson and Mabel Loomis Todd
The first book has a small rectangle that says EMILY DICKENSON POEMS
Edited by two of her friends, Mabel Loomis Todd and T.W HiggensonFirst and Second Series; 16mo, cloth, price of each, $1.25; white and green cloth, full guilt,, price of each $1.50
Roberts Brothers Publishers, Boston

That's what I was looking for. Thank you! If you'll give me a few minutes to look all your info over, I'll get the values together for you.

~Diana

Hi. Thank you for all your patience.

.

They were often published as a set. The publishers actually did a very good job of keeping the cover designs matching through all the different editions. There were solid colored versions with the same etched flowers, some that had an irregular purplish border and then others that had more of a green stripe like yours. There was actually a Third series of Dickinson's poems that was published in 1896 printed with the same cover designs.

.

The First series was first published in 1890 by her friends, Higginson and Todd. Un-edited collections didn't really appear until about the 1950s. Though it carries the date of 1891, with that cover it should be a slightly later printing.

.

The First Series with that cover, should be worth about $150 to $250 in fair to good condition (spine damage, foxing, spotting, minor tears, etc). It'll be worth about $300 to $400 in very good to excellent condition (very minor shelf wear, intact spine, no tears or rips, no stains, etc).

.

The Second Series with that cover and binding is worth about $200 to $300 in fair to good condition and it'll be worth about $400 to $600 in very good to excellent condition.

.

If you do decide to sell it, I'd contact vintage book shops in your area. You might also check with local antique stores. There are a number of collectors that deal in books. To be completely honest, you'll definitely get a higher value by selling it yourself.
.
If you want to try selling your book yourself, I highly recommend checking out Etsy, Barnes and Nobles Marketplace and Amazon's Marketplace. They are great sources for selling and they do handle worldwide sales.

You can also check into:Albris or Biblio. Albris actually has one of the best price rates out of there, but Biblio tends to get more customer traffic.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great weekend.
~Diana

I was wondering why in addition to the $5 refundable that I agreed to, I was billed an additional $43 for a total of $48 that I did
NOT agree to???

Hi. I'm sorry, but I don't have any access to customer accounts. I'm not responsible for any charges. I only get compensated if and only if a customer rates me with a positive rating. Experts are not considered employees, so we don't have access to anything to do with customer accounts or charges. I believe the site says something like $5 deposit and the rest is charged upon a reply or answer from the expert.

.

You're welcome to contact customer service to discuss any membership changes and charges.

.

You can contact customer service here:

1(###) ###-####/p>

.

Have a nice day.

Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser