Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

How rare? I can't find one like mine. English Revised

Customer Question
How rare? I can't...

How rare? I can't find one like mine.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

English Revised Version (1881-1895)
New Testament 1881. C.J. Ellicott, et al., The New Testament of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, Translated out of the Greek: Being the Version Set Forth A.D. 1611, Compared with the Most Ancient Authorities and Revised, A.D. 1881. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1881.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Yes but it wouldn't let me send everything at once

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Antiques
Here is more info. English Revised Version (1881-1895)
New Testament 1881. C.J. Ellicott, et al., The New Testament of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, Translated out of the Greek: Being the Version Set Forth A.D. 1611, Compared with the Most Ancient Authorities and Revised, A.D. 1881. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1881.The New Testament version commonly called the “Revised Version” (RV) or the “English Revised Version” (ERV) of 1881, of which the American Standard Version was an American edition. This version is a revision of the King James version made on the basis of Westcott and Hort 1881 and Tregelles 1857. The readings adopted by the committee of revisers were presented in a continuous Greek text in Palmer 1881, which includes marginal notes showing every departure from the Greek text presumed to underlie the King James version (for which see Scrivener 1881). See the version’s preface for detailed explanations of the principles and method of revision.Old Testament 1885. The Holy Bible containing the Old and New Testaments translated out of the original tongues : being the version set forth A.D. 1611 compared with the most ancient authorities and revised. Oxford: University Press, 1885. 4 vols.Though the title runs “The Holy Bible ... ”, the binding is lettered “Old Testament Revised Version.” The general title and lists of books of both Testaments are given in each volume. Vol. 1 contains a preface, dated 10 July 1884, dealing with the work of the Old Testament Revision Company. With the issue on the 19 May 1885 of the four volumes of the OT, the publication of the revision of the Old and New Testaments begun in 1870 was completed. The Apocrypha did not appear until 1895. Contents: Vol. 1 Genesis-Ruth - Vol. 2 I Samuel-Esther - Vol. 3 Job-Song of Solomon - Vol. 4 Isaiah-Malachi.Bible 1885. The Holy Bible containing the Old and New Testaments translated out of the original tongues : being the version set forth A.D. 1611 compared with the most ancient authorities and revised. Oxford: University Press, 1885.
Very Large Pulpit Folio with 8000 illustrations
3/17/2018
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 4 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome, my name is ***** ***** be pleased to work with you.My responses are not immediate.I thank
you for your patience.I am reviewing the question

Unfortunately, I was unable to find an accurate answer to your question.
I am going to release your question (opt-out) so that if another professional knows the answer, he/she can help you.
There is no extra charge if another professional responds to your question.
I will not be able to respond to your questions once I opt-out.
I hope you find the answer to your question.
Kind regards,
Doris

Antique Expert: ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser replied 4 months ago
ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser

Thanks for the question! Your book typically sells for $80 to $120 based on condition based on comparables from antique book dealers. For one being offered at the $85 level, see: https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=1254691100

Again, thank you! Let me know if I can be of further help. If this was helpful, please rate my professionalism.

What I have is not the same as in the link. I have a Huge Pulpit Folio with 8000 Illustrations. The one I have has "everything" in it. This Bible is at least 16" tall, 11" wide and 5" thick.

Thank you! The pulpit sized version is $125 to $150 based on comparables that have sold on eBay via several subscription databases I've searched.

I have not been able to find how many were printed, do you know?

There aren't official records of how many survive from the original printing unfortunately. They are scarce-to-rare today (no exact comparables have sold at auction in the past decade) but the price is held down because of a lack of significant demand from collectors. Most are content to have just one.

Antique Expert: ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser replied 3 months ago

Just following-up to see if I can be of further help. If this was helpful, please rate my professionalism to close the question and again, thank you!